Big Spring Run - Westmoreland

Z

zwortman41

Has anyone ever heard of or been to a stream called big spring run that runs into the maugh? I was just wondering if it was brook or brown and the size of the stream. I was gonna be in that area next week and i was wondering if anyone has any info about the area. Thank you

Or sugar run in the same area

Funny you mention this stream, A couple weeks ago I was browsing a new fishing/hunting map and marked it down on my to do list since it was listed on that map as having a wild population. I'd start at the town at Seward and go from there. Good luck

The upper reaches of Big Spring start as an actual spring that come out of the ground and through time someone had stabilized that outflow with a "head wall" of hand laid stone and mortar that have been there quite a while. Then it starts a pretty quick fall and alternates between underground/above ground through third or fourth growth timber before flowing into a reservoir that is locally known as "Peach Orchard Dam". The outflow from said dam if I remember correctly used to be stocked by sportsmanship clubs. Can't say when last stocking was. The Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail actually parallels the upper stretch to the dam and the trail parking lot gives good access from the NE side. Many stone were quarried on this side for RR tunnels and spoil piles are evident along the trail. I was told a village called "Ninevah" existed made up of stone cutters/laborers/mules etc. between the spring head and the dam. I would park at the trailhead, find the breast and fish the lower end. Pretty historic/unknown area no doubt. Sugar Run is similar and originates in Game Lands on the W side of Laurel Mtn. and fed the "Big Sugar & Little Sugar Run Dams". The Big has been breached years ago and was a unique smallmouth fishery ironically. Find the Little and try below it although I can't offer much encouragement. I terrorized turkeys in those areas during the early 70s. Diamonds in the rough or dead ends?? If I can help anymore PM me.

Back