Big Spring Creek chicken house

M

Mason5419

Curious...Does anyone know about the chicken house that is going in 200' from the creek at Big Spring (just downstream from the new habitat project?). I am concerned that it will negatively impact the fishery. It seems like a done deal from information that I can find, but anyone interested in the fishery at Big Spring should contact the township (or if local attend the meeting in person) as they vote on it March 28th...35,000 chickens! My question is where does all the $%#@ go other than in the Creek. The PFBC took a huge step forward with the habitat enhancement in that area...this would be a huge step backwards. Any thoughts?

Mason5419 wrote:
35,000 chickens! My question is where does all the $%#@ go other than in the Creek. The PFBC took a huge step forward with the habitat enhancement in that area...this would be a huge step backwards. Any thoughts?

We had 66,000 chickens on our farm. In a modern chicken farm the waste is removed via front loader and taken off premises for processing into really awesome, smelly fertilizer. I can't see where this would have anything to do with the creeks habitat. If it has resulted in clearing of vegetation, trees or otherwise impacted the riparian buffer, then there would be run off issues, but not manure/nitrate issues.

I think there is a discussion of this in the big 'ole Big Spring thread.

This thread was moved here from General Forum. The question was posed earlier in the large Big Spring thread but this new thread may get some fresh attention.
Thanks,
Dave W

IT's all well and good that they haul off the poop, but until it is hauled off it has to be stored somewhere. The issue of storage is a major concern. This is yet another reason to have a mandantory buffer width along streams.

All I know at this point is that a chicken farm permit has been applied for in West Pennsboro Twnsp and that it is located near the headwaters of BS. The owner has had his compliance approved and met with DEP and representatives from BSWA but there remain concerns about potential phosophorus, nitrogen, and estrogen levels in the area around the spring source(s) as well as concerns regarding truck sizes utilizing nearby roads. There will be a township meeting to approve or disapprove the permit on the 28th. If I find out more, I'll keep you informed.

Fishidiot:

That is correct..the chicken farm permit will be voted on at the township meeting on the 28th. Not a permitting expert but I do think that this is flying under DEPs radar and they have not taken any stance on this. The size is too small to be a CAFO (probably one chick under the allowable number), and the BSWA is concerned but has no "teeth" to slow this thing down other than read a statement at the upcoming meeting. I agree with the concerns you mention, and I offer one additional...springs in the vicinity of the chicken farm (and Big Spring Creek itself) are water supplies for Newville. Not to mention the presence of a excellent wild rainbow trout fishery. The site is located immediate across the road from the third PFBC parking lot downstream from the source.

Chaz wrote:
IT's all well and good that they haul off the poop, but until it is hauled off it has to be stored somewhere. The issue of storage is a major concern. This is yet another reason to have a mandantory buffer width along streams.

Exactly, 200' is not much of a buffer for the amount of chicken manure this will produce. While its piled up awaiting removal what happens during a heavy rain or torrential downpour? It would be very detrimental to a headwaters trout stream.

I plan on attending the meeting on the 28th. Might no be a bad idea for many of those concerned to show up and voice thier opinions on the possible stream contamination.

Came across this on WGAL.com:

http://www.wgal.com/slideshow/news/27345215/detail.html

It would nice if there was an actual article to go along with the pictures.

From what I gathered it was polluted by a fish hatchery and they fear if the poultry barn is built the rehabilitation efforts would have been a waste then?

I know it's light on content, but this creek has been talked about before on here quite a bit. Perhaps someone with far more knowledge than myself on the stream can chime in...

I attended the West Pennsboro meeting this evening to decide this issue but, unfortunately, I arrived a few minutes late and the hall was standing room only and I couldn't hear the proceedings so didn't stick around. Information on the status of the chicken farm should be forthcoming soon.
(Note: there's a thread on this same topic in the Stream Locations forum)

Why is it that they always want to put poop farm near streams ?

The chicken farm plans have been stopped, at least for now.

West Pennsboro Twp. declined to issue a permit for the chicken house at last nights meeting.

Thanks to the F&B comm., Trout Unlimited and others who attended the meeting to voice our concerns regarding the possible contamination of the stream.

I think the issue is when you have 66,000 birdies dropping a deuce then a thunderstorm rolls in....now what?.

Big Spring is EV (Exceptional Value) from Basin, Source to SR 3007 (T 333). Not sure if the coop falls in this limit but the DEP is very stringent to EV/HQ streams (at least in SEPA!). New regualtions are even stricter with EV streams and mandatory riaparian buffers are needed in these areas. They are also trying to tacke the nitrates problem in the Ches. Bay watershed. The new manual is on the DEP's site I beleive. Perhaps they applied under the older regs but it would still raise a major red flag to the DEP. Should be intersting to see what happens, I cant see the DEP just letting this "slip through"...but

Jeff

GreenWeenie wrote:
The chicken farm plans have been stopped, at least for now.

That's good to hear. Lets just hope it will stay that way

i guess my birds are polluting too. when it floods the poop washes away.

i guess you're not "overloading" with your birds turds....i took a leak in Valley creek last week....uh oh...

The Township did not approve the permit at last night meeting.

We were well represented by the Fish&Boat Com., and Trout Unlimited.

The issue is not totally dead yet. The only reason the permit was refused was due to the state issuing a roadway permit based on bogus information.

Back