Big Brookies in the Shenandoah Valley

bbillings30

bbillings30

I'm curious about this: "spring-fed mountain stream"

What do these springs look like? And are the springs right up at the source of the stream, so way up on the mountain?

And are they large, i.e. with a lot of water flowing?

Mostly these are mountain streams fed by run off and perhaps a few underground springs. Based on what these streams look like in August and September, I would say that any spring or aquifer contributions to the overall stream flow are negligible. The streams that originate in the mountains of SNP all has ph factors minus 7.

The streams in the Shenandoah Valley are spring fed and flow over limestone or karst formations, i.e. Mossy Creek.

There are a spattering of streams with spring and limestone influence that may support fishable populations of brook trout. The ones I know of are in between Harrisonburg and Winchester and west of the SNP. One used to be privately held (I think it was Hemlock Creek) and stocked to death.

There are a few streams that begin in the mountains at a large spring and are basically a high-gradient limestone stream. They usually resemble limestoners by having a lot of aquatic vegetation and an abundance of macroinvertebrates. These streams are few and far between, but if you find one it's a gem. The fish are generally bigger and the stream is fishable year-round.

Those are beautiful fish! Please don't put them on rocks though, its horrible for their protective slime. Wet grass would be better but still not ideal. I like your website, I live in VA and just added you to my bookmarks.

nice articles.

when i visit the outlaws in Winchester, i shall have to try the brookie fishing down there.

I've caught some real healthy brookies down there, and there are some up to 15 inches. Real trophies.

Beautiful fish! But I agree, keep em off the rocks.

Cheers

Great pictures! I'm also curious about those spring fed mountain streams. Can't say I have ever seen anything like that.

I've been exploring SNP when i have time and have become addicted to one remote stream in Greene County that has yet to produce anything over 9", but on Nov. 15 I caught 30+ on dries there. Some of the streams to the east of where you're fishing are known to hold 12-15 inchers or larger. They are also fished pretty hard which is why I haven't been to them yet! I like the ones off the beaten path even if the fish run slightly smaller.

Cool blog, I fished a few days there this summer on a family trip and caught a lot of nice, small fish. One decent sized fish, but nothing crazy big. Goodluck and keep it up!

I grew up in Greene County and learned to trout fish on those streams. Really curious what stream you've been fishing there.

Ebitt- PM sent

I'm curious about this: "spring-fed mountain stream"

What do these springs look like? And are the springs right up at the source of the stream, so way up on the mountain?

And are they large, i.e. with a lot of water flowing?

Ultimately, most of PA's mountain freestoners are also spring fed. The springs are small (compared to limestone springs, anyway), they come right out of the ground, and can be anywhere from near the ridge above to right down by the streamside. If you follow any draw up from a stream you'll find a spring at the head of it. Yes, the headwaters of any freestoner are littered with these, most have literally hundreds, and more dump in throughout the length of the stream.

The spring water isn't deep springs, generally it's runoff that flows under the loose rock and topsoil, but on top of the bedrock. So you get a much larger number of smaller springs, with outputs that are more constant than true runoff but still vary with only the last few weeks of rainfall. Whereas with a limestoner, the spring water penetrates the bedrock, leading to much fewer, but larger springs, that generally vary in output based on months of rainfall rather than weeks. Because of the soluble bedrock, limestone springs also have a lot more minerals dissolved in them than freestone springs.

Freestone springs are plenty deep enough to emerge at a nearly constant temperature year round, though, just like limestoners. It's just that because they are numerous and small, the streams they feed grow very gradually. If you get far enough downstream, you are a long ways from the majority of the source springs, and thus the stream is warmer. Since most freestoners in an area grow at a relatively similar pace, any area will generally have a "maximum" size, beyond which gets too warm to support trout year round. That maximum size decreases, obviously, with thermal pollution or being exposed to sunlight.

Throughout the northern tier of PA, if such a spring is near a road, it's commonplace to see a pipe sticking out for people to get drinking water from. My cabin has a nice spring. This is in Forest County, technically in the Tubbs Run drainage. It's on a flat on top of a mountain, and originally was just a little swampy area that rose up out of the ground, which was drained by a ditch along the road, which eventually becomes a small stream and goes into the headwaters of Tubbs. We dug a hole and lined it with rock, then put an overflow on it to the same ditch. Drained the swampy area and left us with a nice covered 3' x 3' x 3' pool, which my family uses to store minnow buckets and the like. We occasionally use it for emergency water too. We have found trout in it. Very small, pale ones. Presumably they got there underground. The water is crystal clear and about 53 degrees 365 days per year and has been tested to be drinking water quality.

Another family member built a small pond by damming such a spring. They stock trout in it, and yes, they live year round with no temperature issues.

To state that freestoners are fed purely by runoff is incorrect. Unless you count small, top of the bedrock, but still underground streams to be "runoff".

Following up on that,

The large PA freestoners (Pine, Oil, Tionesta, Kettle, First Fork, etc.) were known to harbor wild trout in the early 1900's. They are much warmer now. Part of that is streamside vegetation, but only a small part.

A much bigger part is a change in the forests, which across the northern tier used to be 70-80% pine, prior to the logging booms. As is true today, the soil beneath pine stands tends to be thick, soft, and spongelike. Capable of soaking up an extraordinary amount of water.

The freestone springs I'm talking about are the output of that soil water draining down to bedrock, collecting into draws, and emerging wherever the stream valley eventually cuts that bedrock.

Hence, with the pine dominated forests, there would have been less runoff, and more freestone spring contribution to freestone streams. Those same springs would be bigger. Moreover, they would hold their outputs better through the dry months. And hence all those large freestoners would have been considerably colder than they are today.

Troutbert:

I fished the Shenandoah Park Streams in my younger days.
A number of them have springheads discharging close to the stream. water very cool and refreshing (used carbon filter :) )
So the description is apt. I think many freestone streams used to have these high flow springs in Pa but development, shattering of the bedrock from quarries and mines and excessive drawdown of the aquifers for water supply has greatly reduced their numbers here.

Back