BFC Narrows

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

A couple of questions for the regulars who fish the Narrows on BFC. Do you have one section that you prefer to fish, or one you think is more productive than others? I've only fished the Narrows once, three years ago. I caught 4 smallish (10"-11") wild browns early morning, then it just died after the first hour. I was fishing in the area of the huge rockslide. Should I stick with this section when I go there again in a week, or try another section? Does one section hold bigger browns than another? Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 118
There’s fish everywhere. BFC, especially the Narrows section behaves a lot like Penns. Feast or famine, it’s either on or it’s off, a lot like Penns. And a lot more off than on. The really good (and I mean the really good) nymph guys seem to be able to consistently catch fish, but I’m not in that league. I can nymph up fish pretty well on less pressured freestoners, but I struggle on the big limestone influenced streams to catch fish like that. First and last 90 minutes of daylight are the best bet for the rest of us.

I’d normally say try to fish it up and off color, but the Narrows is ridiculously hard wading in those conditions.

Are you open to fishing any other sections besides the Narrows? I know that stream pretty well and BigJohn on here does too. The Narrows is pretty, but Matt summed it up real well. I don't mess with the Narrows much anymore only because I have found better (safer to wade, more forgiving fish- including more brookies, way less fishermen) sections by putting the time in. I'm a dry fly and streamer guy who resorts to nymphs only when he has to 😉

Are you open to fishing any other sections besides the Narrows? I know that stream pretty well and BigJohn on here does too. The Narrows is pretty, but Matt summed it up real well. I don't mess with the Narrows much anymore only because I have found better (safer to wade, more forgiving fish- including more brookies, way less fishermen) sections by putting the time in. I'm a dry fly and streamer guy who resorts to nymphs only when he has to 😉
Shhh!

The narrows has the highest biomass of anywhere on the creek (true), its not worth fishing elsewhere!

that pulloff --- right above the stiff pocket water above the narrows deep run ... 3 weeks ago i went for a wonderful swim. working up stream toward the white cabin ... above the fast water, i was not paying attention --- turned --- went right in to my neck. Couldnt get up. Finally did and limped my way to shore and to my truck. i said " to $%ll with it ... stripped down neek'id, wrapped myself in a towel ... and changed into my reserve duds. turned out the waders, hung everything to dry ... put out my chair and table ... poured a nice stiff Old Forester on the rocks and read The Gazette. i've had incredible times on that stretch.

Shhh!

The narrows has the highest biomass of anywhere on the creek (true), its not worth fishing elsewhere!
It’s been that way for a long time. Was also true in the late 1970’s. I fished it elsewhere.

BFC isn't a mountain freestone stream..... You're breaking your mold, WT2!

The narrows section has always had the best hatches of the whole stream
One notable example - green drakes hatch there well, but not down stream

However, I do enjoy fishing the lower sections more.
Easier to fish, not as crowded, and I tend to catch larger fish below.

That said - more often than not, I'd find nothing hatching or rising down stream.
And end up back in the narrows again

I’ve only fished 3 places on BFC and each was in the narrows. I’ve had my best luck fishing from the Tylersville Hatchery down stream a short way. My friends and dad always rented a cabin for 2 weeks just downstream from the hatchery in July. I never went in those years but the midge fishing was tremendous. 50+ days were doable.

I fish the narrows a fair amount, but yeah it can be really tricky but I still love it. It definitely makes me a better nympher. Just popped in to say that it can also be pretty awesome when the water is up and has some color in it. When it's low and gin clear it's a primo place to spook fish. Best fish spooking around.

My only trout in BFC was waay upstream. Never caught anything down below.

There’s fish everywhere. BFC, especially the Narrows section behaves a lot like Penns. Feast or famine, it’s either on or it’s off, a lot like Penns. And a lot more off than on. T
To that point, I think the crazy rock habitat allows the fish to easily move away from our nymphs presented in the drift, and abundant food sources from bugs to crayfish to minnows makes them not desperate to feed. We only catch them when they are 'up' and in a situation to be caught.
Syl

Back