Bethany Beach Area fly fishing help

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

I have a family vacation this July in Bethany Beach DE. I'd like to get out and catch something on the fly stick. I found the Cape Henlopen Reheboth Flats has good fishing, and would be a DIY type deal. I havent really considered a guide.

I've read clousers, deceivers, poppers for night, and sand eels will take fish in the flats. I also saw that the Indian River Inlet could be worth a shot.

Could I get away with an 8wt in the flats at Cape Henlopen?

Any advice is welcomed, and thanks in advance.

I use my 890 down there in that exact area.

I was there last summer with my wife and grandkids fished every morning before kids got up did well at Indian River Inlet ( south side ) lots of small stripers. Chartreuse closers.
Checked out Cape Helpron looked nice but did not fish there.
If there kids there is a charter that takes kids out for sand sharks was fun

J55tyger88 wrote:
Could I get away with an 8wt in the flats at Cape Henlopen?

An 8WT would be perfect. Your fly choices are also good ones.

So as far as wading in the flats go, im assuming its ok to not wear waders being july and all? This will be my first saltwater outing...NOOB! :)

blue jeans and and sneakers and shuffle your feet.

I aint wearin no jeans in july! Seriously though, i can get away with sneakers and some board shorts right?

in the back bays sting rays are always a factor.
I live in Florida half the year and have seen some in back bays and the surf that will make you think twice about being stung.Seldom happens but-

Ok ill pack some jeans :)

I run into a lot of skates in DE, I'm not concerned about rays (jellyfish would rank higher on that list). Florida is different water than DE.

If Steve Irwin was pierced in the heart with a sting ray tail, jeans ain't stopping it.

Back