Best wading access for the Lehigh in Jim Thorpe?

mdamm318

mdamm318

A friend of mine from New England is spending some time in Jim Thorpe to visit in-laws and he wants me to come fish the Lehigh with him. I've never fished the Lehigh and have never been to Jim Thorpe. Is there a close by section that is good for wading and has public access? Any help would be appreciated.

Public access. Very easy. The whole rails/trails bike path (west side of river) is public and then there is lehigh gorge state park which is all public. Access isn't an issue.

Easy wading...? Depends on flow from FEW dam. Anything under 400 is generally considered wadable. The water and air temps are cold. Don't wade in fast current especially if you're older or not in shape. It's dangerous.

https://www.nap-wc.usace.army.mil/nap_plots/WALTR.html

or google "usgs lehigh river below francis walter dam"

Public access. Very easy. The whole rails/trails bike path (west side of river) is public and then there is lehigh gorge state park which is all public. Access isn't an issue.

Easy wading...? Depends on flow from FEW dam. Anything under 400 is generally considered wadable. The water and air temps are cold. Don't wade in fast current especially if you're older or not in shape. It's dangerous.

https://www.nap-wc.usace.army.mil/nap_plots/WALTR.html

or google "usgs lehigh river below francis walter dam"
Great information. Thank you.

The gorge is "gorgeous." Go there, whether you fish or not. You can walk or bike on the trail in the Lehigh Gorge State Park. Look for a map of it online.

I enjoyed fishing it on the east side of the river at Glen Onoko.
Large deep hole there underneath the old tunnel in the cliff.

Last time I was there, I also hiked the trail up along the small stream that runs in on the other side of the river.
Beside the scenic views, I observed some wild brookies in that stream

I enjoyed fishing it on the east side of the river at Glen Onoko.
Large deep hole there underneath the old tunnel in the cliff.

Last time I was there, I also hiked the trail up along the small stream that runs in on the other side of the river.
Beside the scenic views, I observed some wild brookies in that stream

That trail along Glen Onoko Creek/Falls is now closed, FYI. May very well still have been open the last time you were there but it’s closed and off limits now. Too many hiker rescues from slip/trip/falls. I think it’s patrolled and enforced to some degree too.

As far as the Lehigh proper, my experience is it’s uncrossable in most places at nearly all flows. Even at 200 cfs it’s lifted me off my feet trying to cross in the tailouts of pools. Be very careful and pick your spots. At current flows (900 cfs or so out of the dam), it’s not crossable anywhere, period. May be some spots at that flow that you can poke around and fish from one bank, but even that will be dicey. I wouldn’t try it personally at that flow and this time of year with water temps. Toughest river to wade in PA IMO. Gradient is very deceiving in the Gorge section.

That trail along Glen Onoko Creek/Falls is now closed, FYI. May very well still have been open the last time you were there but it’s closed and off limits now. Too many hiker rescues from slip/trip/falls. I think it’s patrolled and enforced to some degree too.

As far as the Lehigh proper, my experience is it’s uncrossable in most places at nearly all flows. Even at 200 cfs it’s lifted me off my feet trying to cross in the tailouts of pools. Be very careful and pick your spots. At current flows (900 cfs or so out of the dam), it’s not crossable anywhere, period. May be some spots at that flow that you can poke around and fish from one bank, but even that will be dicey. I wouldn’t try it personally at that flow and this time of year with water temps. Toughest river to wade in PA IMO. Gradient is very deceiving in the Gorge section.
That's too bad.
Really a neat hike

As far as the Lehigh proper, my experience is it’s uncrossable in most places at nearly all flows.
Agree. I did cross it once where Black flows into LR where that old bridge footer is. That was back in my early 30's though. Not sure if I'd do it again. :)

I was able to cross it a few times right above the pipeline hole. Also took a spill there in October and had to pedal back to the car with water in my waders. In my late 50’s now, I’m a little wiser, or so I’d like to think.
You should find nice wild browns and holdover rainbows from a club stocking.

Can think of only 4 places to cross and then only at flows <400.

Don't have to fear the river, but give it your utmost respect. Please be cautious. The river is borderline fishable at 900 cfs (white haven) in spring. I wouldn't fish it at that flow in winter.

As an alternative may I suggest Mahoning Creek at Baer Park in Lehighton. About 6 miles +/-away from JT. I'll spot burn here as it is a very popular well stocked section. No big secret.

I think you'll find fishing and wading much easier, especially for someone unfamiliar with the LR

Good luck.

Back