Best wader boots period.

T

trike23

Ok guys I need a new pair let me know what you think. Im going no felt this time around and they have to accept cleats or studs.

korkers metalhead... hands down

Simms

Here are my thoughts on the Simms boots I own.

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/simms-guide-boot/77145

Also had an absolutely stellar customer service experience with Simms regarding these boots recently.

That search function in the upper left corner will result billions, literally billions, of discussions on best.boot.ever.

FWIW, If you buy a pair of Simms boots, you might need to consult your local cobbler.

wsender wrote:
FWIW, If you buy a pair of Simms boots, you might need to consult your local cobbler.

Jay and I had a pretty good laugh last week at Bass Pro Shop. They sell the ShoeGoo right beside the Simms boots. LOL.

jdaddy wrote:

Jay and I had a pretty good laugh last week at Bass Pro Shop. They sell the ShoeGoo right beside the Simms boots. LOL.

Everyday I drive by a cobbler on the way to school (what is this, 1873?). I feel like I should convince him to hang an 'Authorized Simms Repair Center" sign out front just for the lolz.

OP, I'd recommend cheap personally. I have a cheap pair that I bought from Bass Pro that work fine. I'm not walking miles and miles in them day in and day out and they're pretty comfy and have held up to a year of solid fishing. What more would you want for $50.

The longest lasting boots I've ever had, were borger boots - which I got 6-7 years out of.
And - even though I don't really need new ones right now - I just picked up another pair of them from madison river fishing co, who had them on close out.
Just received them yesterday, and was kinda surprised to find out that they're still usa made. Maybe the only wading boots still made here?

dryflyguy wrote:
The longest lasting boots I've ever had, were borger boots - which I got 6-7 years out of.
And - even though I don't really need new ones right now - I just picked up another pair of them from madison river fishing co, who had them on close out.
Just received them yesterday, and was kinda surprised to find out that they're still usa made. Maybe the only wading boots still made here?

Dear dryflyguy,

Without question the Borger/Weinbrenner boots were the greatest wading boots ever made. They were literally indestructible, but they were also very heavy.

I've switched to lighter boots as I've gotten older, less athletic, and even more out of shape. I'm kind of like wsender now, inexpensive and lighter weight work for me presently. I have three pairs of wading shoes now, older Simms studded Freestones, older Cabela's Ultralights, and anolder pair of LL Bean studded lightweight Aquastealth boots.

I won't debate the relative merits or demerits of the boots right now. All I will say is that all of them are over 5 years old and all of them have been worn a comparable number of times. They have all provided excellent service as far as wading shoes go and they will all last another 5 years of more barring a castastrophe.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

FWIW, the Simms boots appear to be wayyyyy better made than the $150 boots I bought a couple of years ago that fell to pieces. The boots are very comfortable, however they have had a number of issues and as previously noted Simms was not receptive to taking care of the issue. The new boots are all neoprene lined and have very high rubber "bumpers" etc. The Boa lace system is pretty cool as well. Wonder how putting neoprene feet into neoprene boots works out? Seems they would kind of stick and bind.

whatever boots you end up picking be sure to try them on in a store the waders you intend to wear (or comparable neoprene booty) before you buy them. Especially if you will pick them up online.

I got a pair of orvis boots earlier this year as a gift and ended up returning them for a full size smaller than my regular shoe size.

Raven456 wrote:
LL Bean Gray Ghost!

Mr. Bean, ie HeritageAngler, said the new line up is a lot better than the Gray Ghost. I forget the name but they looked really good when I took a look at them last weekend.

Patagonia rock grip boots are only $125 at backcountry.com right now. They are last years colors and in the bargain outlet section.

Its not really a fly fishing website but it does have great customer service. Anything can be returned free if it doesn't meet your expectations or is the wrong size for a refund or replacement item.

I own a pair Cabela's breathables and their Ultralight boots. Incredibly comfortable and I can walk all day. They are only about $70 but I am on my second pair after only 15 months. I fish quite a bit and they only lasted 15 months. Do these other more expensive boots hold up better or are your paying more for the comfort?

I have no experience with patagonia boots, I just wanted to share the price from the above retailer. Previous posts have mentioned them and I have other Patagonia products that I wouldn't trade for other brands.

But again just giving the heads up on the close out deal

dkile wrote:
I bought these last winter and love these Simms Boots. Just my $.02

Dave
I have the same boots. Love them. I have had mine for three years. They are TOUGH and well made!

Back