best type of fly box for Dry Flies ?

geebee

geebee

what type is best ?

the compartment type is bulky and the C&F design doesn't seem to hold them too well.

So i wondered what you all use.

Thanks

Mark.

i meant for small dries too btw.

I mainly use 8 compartment boxes that are 6"x4"x1"deep - not really that bulky IMO.
For small drys, I use smaller 6 compartment boxes that measure 3"x2"x3/4" deep. These take up very little room in my vest

Compartment boxes protect dry flies the best.

Lots of options available for compartment style boxes - from cheap plastic ones, up to Wheatley style aluminum ones.

Some hatches are fairly short lived, so it doesn't make sense to me to carry every immitation I own, of every type of bug, all year long.

Example: tricos. You're just not gonna need to have them along until early July, to the first killing frost in Autumn. Or green drakes - not too handy in October.

Not all streams have every hatch, also. If you know what bugs are available on the stream you'll be fishing, you can carry only what you know you'll encounter.

Rather than swap flies out of my boxes every time I fish, I make seperate boxes for each of the major hatches. Before I start fishing (either at home, or at my truck), I load my vest with the boxes I need, and take out the ones I don't. Takes just a few seconds to do this...

For general purpose dries like the Dewitt boxes, not too expensive and I can see the flies before opening.

For small stuff 18 or smaller I like the new ultra slim boxes. Orvis sells them as well as other companies. The small compartments have magnetic stuff on the bottom to keep the little buggers from flying out when I open it and the lids are clear to see what's in there before opening.

I also use the Dewitt boxes - purchased from FFP - and like them.
Think they are only like $10 - $12 each

that is great information. thank you fellas.

i guess i'm gonna need 6-8 boxes on my amazon wish list.

cheers

Mark.

I took small sticker labels and put them on my compartments. Easy to read and can change them if needed.

For instance I have a BWO box.

#16 parachute
#16 hairwing
#16 emerger

etc.

I stick with boxes that will fit in my Flyfishing vest. I have 4 compartments that I can put 1 each - 6" x 4" up to 2" deep boxes in. My usual take is 1 nymph box, 2 dry fly boxes and 1 top water popper box. I will substitute a box or so when I use wullybuggers and streamers.
I would recommend that if you have a vest, take it in and ask to test the boxes to see what fits best. See through water proof boxes are excellent.

I have C&F slit foam in my Richardson. Works fine for me. I carry virtually all my flies, all the time.

Regarding the issue Ed brought up with seasons, I attack it two ways. The obvious is that, leading up to a hatch, I stock up on that bug. Thus, heading into, say, drakes, yeah, I either tie or buy drakes. So their portion of my box grows. As the drake hatch progresses, I'm losing drake flies more than other bugs, so by the end of the hatch I'm down to only a few in my box and space has opened up for the next hatch on the list.

I also consciously look for opportunites to convert flies, or use them for something else. For instance, he gave the example of tricos. Sure, you only fish tricos after July or so. So why carry them in March? Well, because, if you snip the tails off, they make a fine midge. And come mid-June, have too many drakes leftover? Well, lets see, they're big, visible, and high floatin dries. Color em up with a marker and they make a decent stonefly imitation to skate around. Or use them for dry-dropper rigs. Or heck, if you're fishing for aggressive brookies, tryin to target bigger ones and fend off the dinks, they fit the mold fine.

There are always uses for "out of season" flies.

pcray1231 wrote:
I have C&F slit foam in my Richardson. Works fine for me. I carry virtually all my flies, all the time.

Regarding the issue Ed brought up with seasons, I attack it two ways. The obvious is that, leading up to a hatch, I stock up on that bug. Thus, heading into, say, drakes, yeah, I either tie or buy drakes. So their portion of my box grows. As the drake hatch progresses, I'm losing drake flies more than other bugs, so by the end of the hatch I'm down to only a few in my box and space has opened up for the next hatch on the list.

I also consciously look for opportunites to convert flies, or use them for something else. For instance, he gave the example of tricos. Sure, you only fish tricos after July or so. So why carry them in March? Well, because, if you snip the tails off, they make a fine midge. And come mid-June, have too many drakes leftover? Well, lets see, they're big, visible, and high floatin dries. Color em up with a marker and they make a decent stonefly imitation to skate around. Or use them for dry-dropper rigs. Or heck, if you're fishing for aggressive brookies, tryin to target bigger ones and fend off the dinks, they fit the mold fine.

There are always uses for "out of season" flies.

Agree with Pat 100% on all of the above.

Slit foam boxes, to carrying all my bugs with me, to cuttin' and colorin' them (with some surgery, hoppers can turn into stoneflies, tricos to midges, duns to spinners......)

I take to the stream a few bugs for each hatch, I bulk up on flies to match the hatch I expect to see at the time, and have some back-up boxes I keep in my truck with duplicates of flies I carry.

Back