Best type of deer hair for standard caddis fly

HopBack

HopBack

Can anyone recommend a specific type ( I don’t mean brand) of deer or elk hair for your standard caddis fly. I can tie them just fine but I feel like the hair I use is too soft. I would like something with stiffer tips. Thanks!!

I use coastal deer hair.
It's shorter and finer with stiffer tips.
It doesn't splay out when bound down, making for a nice shaped wing

I use coastal deer hair.
It's shorter and finer with stiffer tips.
It doesn't splay out when bound down, making for a nice shaped wing
Thank you, so finally came across Kelly Gallup’s YouTube video explaining in detail what each type of hair is best suited for. He basically said the same thing and interestingly enough he said there is no reason to ever use anything but comparadun deer hair for wings.

I'm not sure you can even get them anymore. I've been using the hair from a deer's mask since I started tying caddis patterns. It was suggested to me by a guy who ran a fly shop in Willow Grove. He's been dead many years. He accidently drowned fishing for stripers on the Cape. He told me if I planned to tie a lot caddis, rather than buying a bunch of different patches of deer hair I should try the mask. He was right. There's a variety of different colors and types on it. He sold me one for $12. It lasted me almost 5 years. I was able to get a replacement mask from English Angling Trappings, I still have half of it left.

Back