Best tool for self made dubbing?? CoffeeGrinder v MiniFoodProcessor

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
New tier here.
I have an old/abundant supply of wool and synthetic yarn that I want to put to good use.
My goal is to blend this to make my own dubbing for simple flies.
Research has shown tiers using both Coffee Grinders
and Mini Food Processors.

Requesting insight, suggestions, preferences, advantages, disadvantages of each please.
ty

Personally, I use a coffee grinder . Works great!!

Coffee grinder. Use short bursts as opposed to just leaving it grind. Also,

I used to use a cheap coffee grinder in short bursts.

Today I prefer to use the glass jar method. Place fur in a glass jar with a drop of hair conditioner. Fill half way or so with water, place lid on tight, and shake.

Strain, rinse, squeeze excess water out, and place on newspaper to dry.

For a fly or two I still mix by hand.

I have used a coffee grinder in the past but I find myself mixing small batches by hand, you can cut the materials to about a half inch and put into a pile and pull apart and mix together. I like the variegated effect that keeps the individual colors separated, I think the best dubbing is not monotone.

Coffee grinder works for me.

100% coffee grinder !!!!

Haven't made dubbing in a while, but I always used a coffee grinder.

+1 for the hair conditioner method

since i dont need to blend ounces of dubbing, i just use the old fashioned long lost hand dubbing technique :-D

I have tried both, I found that the blade on the minifood to be to high of the bottom of the container to give a good blend . The coffee grinders blades sit almost flush giving it allot more contact with the dubbing making it more efficient for blending .

Back