Best tool for pinching barbs on 20-22-24-26.........??

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
Up till now, been using my Spring Clamps.
That approach is " functional", but can't help thinking there is a better ( modestly priced) tool for that specific task.
Not interested in using the jaws of my vice.
thx

Basically, the smallest long nosed pliers you can find.
You could also remove it with a small file

But frankly, barbs on hooks that size are so small, I dont know that it matters much

You can go wrong with something from Xuron MADE IN THE USA like the 450-TweezerNose™ Pliers or the bent nose version called the 450BN -Bent Nose/Chain Nose Pliers.

There are a ton of other options although I personally would bother on the tiniest hooks as the barbs are so small and you might inadvertently break off the point instead.

I've used a pair of hemostats with flat jaws in a pinch but the clamping function made them unsatisfactory. So I cut it off the ridged clamping parts with a Dremel cut-off wheel and keep them closed with an O-ring.

Basically, the smallest long nosed pliers you can find.
You could also remove it with a small file

But frankly, barbs on hooks that size are so small, I dont know that it matters much
When I have to pinch barb on a little hook, I break off the point one out of five times.

Why not just buy barbless hooks? The geometry is usually more optimal anyway for jaw penetration and keeping the fish pinned.

Why not just buy barbless hooks? The geometry is usually more optimal anyway for jaw penetration and keeping the fish pinned.
Certainly the way to go for anyone buying hooks today. I'm sure some of the old timers here on the forum have a lot of legacy barbed hooks, probably especially in lesser used sizes like 20+.

Certainly the way to go for anyone buying hooks today. I'm sure some of the old timers here on the forum have a lot of legacy barbed hooks, probably especially in lesser used sizes like 20+.
that all makes sense. I figure though for tying for personal use, your time is by far the most valuable component of the equation. Mashing the barb has a significant chance of weakening the hook to the point of failure at some point down the road (Murphy’s law states it will likely be while fighting a 23” tailwater buck brown or breaking off halfway through a session and going unnoticed through 30-50 casts and numerous mysterious missed hook sets). If I can buy a 50 pack of high quality barbless hooks for 12$, that’s a whole lot of time and frustration saved.

Anyways modern hooks are light years ahead of the old ones in terms of durability and sharpness. Failing that, just use the vise jaws!

Anyways modern hooks are light years ahead of the old ones in terms of durability and sharpness. Failing that, just use the vise jaws!
The son who is tying all my flies lately has learned that it's best to mash barbs before tying the flies - regardless of the hook size. If you break off the point after tying, you've wasted time and material.

You can go wrong with something from Xuron MADE IN THE USA like the 450-TweezerNose™ Pliers
I use Xuron pliers and they are great. Flyfishers Paradise used to sell them; I don't know if they still do. They are expensive but very high quality, perfect for de-barbing. IMHO they are the answer to the question in the OP.

Take hook out of container, pick up pliers and flatten barb, put hook in vice, tie fly.

Get in that habit, and do it every time, just part of the procedure. That way you never have to de-barb after the fly is tied.

For very small flies, use the very tip of the pliers. For medium size hooks, use the jaws further back, where they are stouter. Use a heavier pair of flat jawed needle nose pliers for larger hooks.

Wear eye protection. Sharp metal can go a-flying when pinching down barbs.

Thanks for going barbless, I wish more people would.

Thank u all for great feedback.
Gave me a solution, as well as considerations for future.

Being that I always deBarb, it was never a priority for me to seek and purchase barbless hooks.

With the insights here...especially for these smaller sizes, it might b a wise consideration for me going forward.

Not to take it off topic, but is there any point of taking barbs off for my spinning gear when I just go after stocked trout with it?

Stocked trout are also living breathing creatures. I don’t understand the difference when you’re talking about the supposedly humane treatment of living things.

Not to take it off topic, but is there any point of taking barbs off for my spinning gear when I just go after stocked trout with it?
(Within the law) Bonk it... Break its neck... Broil it.

De-barbed hooks are easier to remove from humans than barbed hooks. And fish hooks getting sunk into humans is a very common thing.

Back