Best Steelhead reel under $100

C

curtrein

Hey guys:
Well, I think my 1st steelhead reel is about shot. It was a redington crosswater and it served me well for about 8 yrs. So I am in the market for a new reel, preferably a large arbor one for around or under $100. So far I am looking at a Teton tioga large arbor 8 or the sage 1680. Does anyone have any experience with either of these reels or have any further recommendations? Thanks for your help guys!!

Loomis venture comes in at $100 on the nose. It's a great big fish reel.

orivs battenkill mid arbor- on sale for 109

Check out Allen's Reels too. I'm in the market to buy a 9/10 soon and I'm pretty sure I'm getting one from him.

jayL wrote:
Loomis venture comes in at $100 on the nose. It's a great big fish reel.

Jay took the words out of my fingertips! Ditto!

Here's another vote for the Loomis - I've used one for years with an 8WT line and it's held up well in the salt. However, it is not a large arbor.

Loomis "Venture" IMO best reel on the market for the money. I have two! The model "3" and the "7".

I fish an Allen Alpha now for steel. Sweet reel. It retails for just a hair over $100, but Justin will cut you a break for being a PaFlyFish member. Allen is a PaFlyFish sponsor. Contact Justin at info@allenflyfishing.com.

Thanks for all of the advice guys! In the end I decided to try an Allen Alpha 7/8. Decided to give the little guy a try. The most appealing feature of the alpha was the fact that it has a silent retrieve and a sealed carbon disc drag that will for sure come in handy for Steelies. Just ordered it yesterday. I'll post a review after I get it and christen it. Dealt with Justin and if the reel is even half as good as his customer service then I'll be in for a real treat.

I'll second the Allen stuff as well (or maybe third it?).

curtrein wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice guys! In the end I decided to try an Allen Alpha 7/8. Decided to give the little guy a try. The most appealing feature of the alpha was the fact that it has a silent retrieve and a sealed carbon disc drag that will for sure come in handy for Steelies. Just ordered it yesterday. I'll post a review after I get it and christen it. Dealt with Justin and if the reel is even half as good as his customer service then I'll be in for a real treat.

Isn't the new 7/8 a cork drag? I just received mine and was under the impression this new model had a cork drag.

Actually, the new XL 7/8 reel will have the cork drag. The Alpha 7/8 reel has the sealed carbon disc drag.

whats better, cork or carbon?

rhbuilds wrote:
whats better, cork or carbon?

Cork - if you maintain it. Cork needs to be kept clean, and a bit of neats foot oil applied for it to perform at it's best.

Carbon is maintenance free, but doesn't have the smoothness and stopping power of cork.

The best saltwater reels have cork drags (ie Abel, Tibor,...)

http://www.itinerantangler.com/podcasts/2007/08/article_brake_jobs.html

thanks for article

i seen the allen reels on site, they look nice. i want a new reel for my 7wt rod. i use rod for bass/pike/steelhead. what reel should i get, trout 5/7 or alpha 7/8 ? both look like they will do the job.

rhbuilds,

The Trout will be a little lighter and will not hold a lot of backing with a 7 wt line. The Alpha will be a little heavier, but will hold plenty of backing with your 7 wt line. Its really a matter of what will balance better with your rod in my opinion. Unless you hook a really big pike or go for kings in the Salmon river you shouldn't need a lot of backing.

I got an Allen XL 7/8 and I must say, the cork is verrrrry nice. It's amazing what a twist can do. I fished it the other day and had noooo problem handling a 20+lb King. It's a great reel.

I have cooked a handful of sub $100 reels on salmon. The first one that ever lasted more than a few seasons has been the loomis. Props to allen if their reels can handle the abuse. I might get a larger allen and try it on fresh kings next year.

Back