Best Sage Reel for a 9'6" 4wt. Sage One fly Rod

mattwolf

mattwolf

I was wondering what might be the best reel for a sage one fly rod. I guess it doesen't have to be a sage reel if there is something better.

Thanks,

With a rod that, as my grandmother would say, dear... I'd go to a fly shop and try everything to see what balances best.

Not too many fly shops where I am located. I was just wondering if anyone else might already have a set-up they like.

An Abel Super 4 would balance that rod very nicely. They can be found on closeout at a fair price. Paying full price for an Abel is big dollars - close out is a great deal. I use a Super 4 on my Z-Axis 5 wt and the balance is excellent. On my 4 wt. Z-Axis it balances it well, but not as ideal as I would like to see so I use a Loop Opti Creek. The Super 4's are a touch heavier than the Super 4N. However, you have an extra 6 inches on that rod - that should compensate the minor difference between my 5 wt. and 4 wt. 9' Z's.

You'll be looking at about $300 for a Super 4. You have a $700 fly rod there - I would fish a nice reel on it.

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike,

I will look into the Abel reels. Thanks for the help.

I plan on putting a sage click on mine. I will also look into abel or ross if the sage doesn't work.

Good rod requires a good reel. I agree with Abel. Sage's 4540 would work real nice too.

Does anyone have any experience using the cf4540

mattwolf wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using the cf4540
No, but I do own the older 2540. You can see half of it in my Avatar with the Wild Tiger Trout. It's a fine reel. I would check out both the 4540 and the 4540CF and see which one will balance the rod. The CF is the lighter weight of the two.

Don't have a Sage One but do have a Z-Axis and a Ross Evolution LT fits nicely with that

I really like the look of the Lamson reels. I was going to get one, but I just came into two Orvis CFO III, I would give you a review on one but I haven't got a chance to try them yet.

Sage Reels: My only experience was with a 4550 I purchased mail order. The 10 stop drag knob is NOT subtle, and each click makes a big difference. The spool is too wide and too shallow IMO, and I mailed it back within one hour (REALLY!). Not worth the money compared to Ross or Galvan.

Ross Evolution LT reels are very nice: light weight, smooth drag with a wide range of fine adjustment. I've used them since the original came out, and never had a problem. Made in USA....

Galvan Torque: Also made in USA, and has a very wide range of fine drag adjustment (3 rev's of the drag knob!). The Torque and Evolution are centerline drags btw, and the Sage is offset, if that matters.

Back