Best Rod & Reel Outfit Between $250-$400

JakesLeakyWaders

Ok, I snuck into Cabela's over in Hamburg today after work, having been out towards Hamburg for the work day and wandered into the fly shop. I looked over some rods and reels for awhile. I did not make any purchases but I'm sure a new outfit for this Spring is inevitable. This got me thinking, man there are so many choices. What is missing in my arsenal as of the last several seasons is your typical 8'5"- 9'0" rod with 5 or 6 weight. I just thought I'd stir it up in the forum a little, while getting some oppinions on what everyone thinks is the best thing going for next spring in a particular price range. Maybe even stretch the price barrier a bit I don't care. So let me know, in your own oppinion, what is the best rod & reel combo for your money.

for my money? or your money? I have never spent that much on a rod so you created even MORE choices...whatever you get just make sure you get it wet often...

Actually, I have never spent more than $250 on an outfit myself. I just thought maybe I'd get myself a really nice outfit. I figured most of you guys on here spent a dollar or two more than I do. I guess if the moderators come along and edit the topic title to "any" price range that would be ok. Or I could post a topic for under $250, hmm, yeah, that's an idea.

The most expensive rod I have is an Orvis TLS. I'd say to pair something with that, but it would be on the low end of the range.

I personally like this range of outfits.

I consider an outfit to include rod, reel and line. I do have less expensive outfits that work just fine. However, I find this range to be the most consistent price to performance value for me.

I just try to get what I want for the best price (coupons, sales, points and used equipment).

It's all about what you're willing to spend on your hobby and what feels good in your hand.

You have lots of choices if you're contemplating up to $400. So you've already set a maximum. Even @ $250 or under you will be able to pick up a nice outfit Buy within your means

Cast as much as you can and see what feels good in your hand and go for that one. Nothing in my opinion is more important than this once you've set your price range.

There are lots of deals out there now that include line, backing and a reel. Orvis is having a special on T3, TLS and Superfines right now, buy one and they'll give you a Battenkill Mid Arbor with it. Some of the local fly shops have an affiliate program, where you order from Orvis and they get credit for it. Check your local shops home page to see if they are hooked into this program. It's a great way to get merchandise you want and still allow the local shop to make money from your purchase.

Cabelas, LL Bean have some good options too and both have great warranties. Don't discount purchasing directly from local fly shops either. I know a few of them that will include line and backing if you're buying rod & reel. This is also a good time of the year for closeouts.

Loomis, Battenkill Mid Arbor, Ross, Lamson are a few very good choices in reels that you'll have a lifetime if you take care of them.

Hope that helps.

Interesting topic because I will be tuning 40 in a couple of months and I have the go ahead to set myslef up with a nice outfit as well..I was told anywere below $1000 !! I about fell over... so i was going to get some ideas from the group as to what they thought of the Orvis (Superfine, T3) Sage (Don't know too much @ their rods), Gloomis (streamdance) and Thomas and Thomas rods. Any ideas/suggestions as to comparbale rods to test cast..looking at 8'-9' 5wt.

For the money I think it’s hard to beat a Temple Fork rod. They have a couple different models:

Finesse Series – Traditional medium action, all-purpose trout rod ($180).

Professional Series – Faster action, all-purpose trout rod without the broomstick feel ($150).

TiCr Series – Fast action, beefy rod more suited for larger fish ($200).

TiCrx Seris – Faster action and even beefier rod ($250).

Axiom Series – Extremely fast action rod ($275).

There are a couple other mfg. who make good rods relatively inexpensive. Below is a link to a really good 5 weight “shootout” testing and comparing rods from $150 - $700.

Five Weight Shootout

As for reels, Temple Fork also makes some decent reels at a relatively low price. Ross and Lamson make some good reels in the $125 range (Lamson Konic is a nice reel).

In the $250 - $400 range I would look at Winston Vapor and Sage Fli (being replaced by the Flight?). I have both. Temple Fork is a great value but the cork handles are border line on quality. I have several TFO rods. There are also some nice St. Croix rod series in the $200 - $300 range. (Not to discredit their lower priced lines.)

I'm willing to overlook minor issues like handle cork quality etc. in a lower priced rod but if you get into the $250 and up area the rod quality should be high and the rod should cast just the way you like.

If you like a fast action rod in 9' I would strongly check out the Winston vapor.

I think the best advice, no matter what price range, is to cast them before you buy! Every rod / action feels different in different hands and with different casting strokes. I will always test the distance I can cast with each rod, but I will also test short and mid range accuracy as this is what is critical the majority of the time (at least for my FFing).

I have a TFO Ticr 8wt rod and LOVE it. I use it for all my steelhead fishing and it is perfect for it. Some may say it's too much rod, but I can do some horsing on it rather than put too many fish on the reel. The rod is very stiff and I do use it in the summer time to do some of my bass and panfish fishing in ponds and lakes. I can literally (with a doublehall) throw that line about twice as far as my 5wt rod. I've compared the two before and it's no contest. The best part about TFO is the customer service. I broke the tip off when it was iced over 2 years ago and from the date I mailed it out, to the time I got it back was less than 2 weeks! For $25 you can't ask for better service. I would suggest looking for last years models within the next 2 months. I'm all about the next best thing out, but to save a buck, I'll do what it takes. I got a Battenkill II reel a year ago and saved about $30 off the retail.
You figure $100 on the rod, $100 on the reel, and $50 on the line and you're right at the bottom of your range. If you're stuck between a better rod, or a better reel, I'd go with a better rod. How often do you really put a fish on the reel? I can count on 1 hand how many trout I've put on my reel for my 5wt. Get a nice rod that you're comfortable casting and you can see yourself throwing flies with for 6-8hours without any issues. I easily have well over $1500 spent in my fly fishing equipment and have only been fly fishing for less than 3 years so far. Whatever you end up buying, enjoy it and use it as many times as possible. Also, invite a buddy to come fish with you and teach him on your old setup. I can't ever turn down someone who want's to learn.

Ryan.

Look at ebay. I just picked up a 5wt St Croix Imperial 2 pc for 60 bucks. I have another one that I bought 10 years ago that I paid 3 times that amount. I doubt the person who owned it ever took it out of the rod tube. There are deals out there if you look.
I also picked up a St Croix Legend Ultra on Ebay with a line for well under 200.00 with a warranty card.

Also check out your local fly shop and see if they have any consignment rods. I know my local shop always has a nice selection of trade in rods and reels. I always ask and have purchased several rods and reels from them that were traded in.

Just my .02 to save .02. Plus you can use the savings to take a trip.

a scott A2 rod and a lamson konic reel with line will be in the $400 range

There are definately avenues to pick up used gear, ebay, the forum swap and other boards being some of those. There's nothing wrong with doing so because you can get some great gear that way. Only downside that I see to this is that if you're picking up gear, and rods especially, the warranaty may be voided if you're not the original owner. Be educated so that you know whether the rod is covered under warranty or not. There's no right or wrong here, just know what you're getting up front.

Well I finally bought my new rod. A TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse Series, 7'9" 4 weight 4 piece.
I would like to thank everyone for they're oppinions, especially, thanks to GreenieWeenie for the "5 Weight Shootout" link, and for suggesting TFO. In the end though I guess I just couldn't bring myself to buy a rod as mighty and long as a 9' 5 weight. I guess I favor the smaller, lighter, shorter rods for my purposes.
I could not afford the "package" deal from Cabela's where I got it or the one from Bass Pro, so I got the rod only and I'll wait to pick up a nice reel and line which brings me to my next question. About Fly line. I'll start a new post on that I'm set on two or three reels that caught my eye so come february I'll be good to go. I feel that this is a good rod and for trout fishing, ( for me at least), this should be my standard go to rod for typical medium steams. Not too light, not to heavy. Will work in most situations. $179 outta my pocket ..... cha ching.

That should do well.

I fished a TFO 4 weight almost exclusively for all my stream fishing for a few years. I like em a bit longer, but what feels right is usually best.

As for line, I can't recommend rio grand enough. I'll never use a different line.

Congrats on your purchase, TFO rods are a great bang for the buck.

I have to agree with Jay L Rio Grand is also my line of choice and I prefer the WF over DT. My experience is that it loads much better.

Glad you like the TFO. The Finesse Series is really a nice rod.

As for lines, I will leave this up to you but I use a couple different lines on different rods (All my rods are medium action).

Ridge Air Flow – Made in England. This is line is quickly becoming my all around favorite line. It can launch a large nymph or streamer just as effectively as gently dropping a small dry. The line doesn’t have as much stretch as most other fly lines and it seems to sit in the surface film, as opposed to floating on top of the surface film. This is my general all purpose line on my 8 foot #4 weight and 9 foot #5 weight rods.

SA GPS – The front section has a shorter taper and is about ½ line weight heavier. This line was primarily designed for faster action rods; however I use this on my #5 weight for working in close to better turn over larger nymphs and heavy streamers when I’ve only got 10-15 feet of line out of the guides. You can shoot it but it definitely overloads a medium action rod if you put too much line in the air.

SA XPS – Longer front taper for more delicate presentations. I use this on my 8 foot #3 weight rod for dry fly fishing.

For whatever it’s worth I’ve used Rio Selective Trout in 3 and 4 weights and the finish on both lines cracked within 1 year. I take excellent care of my lines removing them after each use, washing them with warm water, stretching them and wrapping them lightly around the factory spools and Rio is the only line I’ve ever had a problem with. I have 30 year old Cortland 444 lines that are still in excellent shape and very fishable so my experience with Rio lines has not been a good one. Others swear by Rio and I don’t doubt it is a good line but my experience with Rio was not the norm.

Check the Sportsmans Guide web site. Lots of rods and reels for really good prices.I have Sage, Loomis, TFo and Orvis. Personally like Loomis then Sage, and Orvis in that order.Orvis is overrated and have declined in quality .As I understand they were bought out by Bass Pro and it all got shipped overseas for manufacturing.Same thing with reels and lines so many choices.Do your homework and pick an outfit that is comfortable to use.

I think I bought my first serious fly outfit from Cabela's about 5 years ago. A 7' 3wt and Drake II reel combo. Came with rod, reel, line, backing, rod case and reel case for $250.00 with a 25 year unconditional garauntee. Best money ever spent.
I eventually broke that 7' and took it in and replaced it (for free under the garauntee) with a 6' 4wt and used that rod up until last week when I boaught my first new rod in years.
A black 6'6" 2wt Matrix with black Lamiglas uplocking reel seat and put on the new Orvis Battenkill BBS 1 Sal boaught me for Christmas. I'll probably have that rig for 5 years till my next new outfit like I did with the Cabela's PT.

Back