Best method for getting fishing gear to CO.

jay1963

jay1963

Good day
I am going to Denver next month :-D and am planing on fishing.
I am looking for information on getting gear out there and back in one piece or 3.
would you check your equipment as baggage of ship to your self at the destination?
I have 2pc 5 wt and a 2 pc 6wt as well as the reels and waders and vest looking for ideas.
Thank you
Jay

Checked Bag -> Waders, Pack, Boots

Carry On -> reel, flies, rod.

the only issue I see with you is that you're rod is 2 piece. I got charged oversize luggage last time I brought a 9' 2 piece to Alaska. If you can get a 4 piece, you can bring it on the plane for free.

Recommend South Platte (Deckers) if you're in Denver area.

Buy yourself a travel tube for your rods for around $30, simple 3"dia cordura covered from BassPro or Cabela's will work and should hold both rods. Carry it on with you, try to board early and the tube will fit in the back of the overhead and then normal bags go on top with much hassle.

Carry on your reels and fly boxes in your carry on bag. Waders & boots and the mostly empty vest go in the checked bag.

edit to add, I have yet to have an issue carrying on 2pc 8 footers in one tube, but ymmv.

Probably a silly question but does TSA have a problem with hooks as carry on?

Small ones no,Trout size. Big salt water yes.GG

sorry, should read:

"..bags go on top without much hassle."

Going to Montana in September, so this is a helpful post. Don't mind losing clothes, but want to keep fishing stuff safe from loss.

I don't mind checking flyboxes but want to be sure vest, boots, waders and two rods arrive with me.

Any advice would be welcome.

I carried my 4 piece Orvis on the plane and 3 boxes of trout flies without hassle. I am going out west again soon so I too would be interested in any ways to improve my luggage situation.

Sorry not much help here, but we drove to Colorado, so all the fly fishing gear went in the van... On my last trip, I pre shipped it out there and carried it on, during the flight back. I think if I flew out to Co. again, I would just carry it on. Good luck and have a great trip!!! Check out Crystal lake near Leadville... Fun fishery

Why would anyone need fishing gear in CO?

Ever heard of Amotivational syndrome?

Bring me back a candy bar...

Seriously, my travels to PA a few time a year have enabled me to hone down costs and hassles.

I use UPS. Get an account and ship via a UPS depot, not a store front or "mailbox store"

For under $90 I'm able to ship two boxes, one about 70 lbs & 18x18x24 and another with 8' - 2 piece rods about 5x5x60 weighing about 10 lbs.

United charges more than that because the gear/clothing box and rods are "over weight or oversize baggage". Plus I can track my shipments and know exactly where they are, as opposed to the crap shoot of checked baggage.

My last flight from PIT to HOU was cancelled, I had a bad night in a fleabag motel and no dinner.

But I knew my gear was safe and sound...

Having literally travelled around the world I can say this: Don't put anything in a checked bag you want to keep.

It's not as bad as people make it seem. But I do recommend just getting a 4pc rod to make packing your carry on easier. You can strap it to your carry on and not have any additional hassle or charges or anything. You also get an additional "personal" item to carry on which can be a backpack or large handbag. Stuff that sucker full too. So you have a carry on bag with your rod strapped to it and a backpack with you at all times.

I have used checked baggage for my sturdier fishing items. Boots, waders, shoes, sling pack etc. The likelihood of rough handing is far greater than actual loss. So durable or soft stuff goes in checked baggage. Usually runs $25 or so for first checked bag under 50lbs.

Three recent trips to Montana as experience

P.s. The one time I traveled with someone who shipped their rod ahead via UPS, they broke his rod. Nine other guys flew with their rods and no damage

I've been flying west, mostly to Denver, twice a year, for the past 6 years. I have never had any issues with flies and reels in my carry on. I put my rods, 4 piece, in a rods tube and strap it to my backpack. I have seen people carry on 2 pc rod tubes with no issues. I fly Southwest when I need to check bags, but mostly I only do carry on. Make sure you don't have any blades or multitools in your gear. This time of year wet wading would be a definite option, so you can save space.

I don't mind checking flyboxes but want to be sure vest, boots, waders and two rods arrive with me.

Any advice would be welcome.

If you want it to arrive with you, then you need to carry it on.

Personally, I'd rather wet wade for a day or two while waiting on rerouted luggage than have to restock flyboxe$$ because of a sticky fingered 'inspector.' I've heard too many stories of boxes and reels that go missing from checked bags to let them out of my possession.

This year my carry ons will be a camera bag w/ laptop and a duffel with a change of clothes and fishing hardware (reels/flyboxes/sunglasses). Three two piece rods fit in one travel tube and will also get carried on (proabaly a pair or 5wts and a 4wt.) Waders/boots/vest will go in the checked bag along with the camera tripod which is about the only piece of gear I'll check if I can't squeeze it into the carry on duffel...

Pennkev, If your buddy's rod was broken it's on him for not packing it correctly. I doubt UPS handles freight any differently than airlines handle checked baggage.

I put all my rods in tubes, wrap the tubes in bubble wrap, put bubble wrap on the bottom & top ends of the box and include my 1' dia beech wading stick, (52" long), as a "stiffener".

Then I duct tape the box till it looks like a mummy. I've used the same box for three round trips and it's still going strong.

Anyway, whatever method works and makes one comfortable should be used.

I guess that's why they make chocolate & vanilla...

I have bags for all my fishing stuff that I check. I remember paying a baggage fee, but don't remember how much, maybe $50.00.
I've done it before the pre baggage fee days. I've also carried on rods. But they don't always let you carry on 2pc rods. Check with the airline before you go to the airport and get a persons name and badge number if they'll give it to you.

I'm not saying wrapping your stuff up in 50 layers of packaging, arranging with contacts at your destination, paying an arm and a leg for shipping, and getting this all done well in advance of your trip isnt't the safest way to do it.... ....but I will say that it is overkill and the reputation of airlines for losing baggage is overstated.

Everyone needs to decide what makes economic sense, evaluate the actual risks, and decide what best fits them. For me, flying with all my gear makes the most sense in terms of ease, convenience, and cost. I keep any valuable or fragile items with me in my carry-on and have had zero trouble. The durable stuff goes in the checked bag.

And you know what? With the cost of airfare to western cities being what it is, if I can afford to fly, I can afford to replace lost gear when I get there. The convenience of flying with my tackle outweighs the small risk that I will have to replace it.

Don't stress out over flying with your gear. It's intimidating to the infrequent traveler, but the reality is that it is not a big deal. I had the same concerns the first time around, but those worries quickly went away.

Well, infrequent is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Having lived in, worked in or visited 23 different countries on 5 continents, and having left Houston flying west and returned to Houston flying west, I have a little bit of airline experience. And that's not counting domestic air travel.

If you don't mind buying new gear every time you go somewhere why ship your old stuff?

I learned a long time ago, on one of my "infrequent" flights, that you NEVER check ANYTHING you want to keep...

But hey, look at the bright side. Those guys who make fishin' gear have to work too...

Whatever you think you gotta do.

You have a lot of experience with the airlines and I have a lot of experience with UPS, USPS, and FedEx.

They are not much, if any better then the airlines. Busted rods. Check. Smashed monitors left on the front porch. Check. Computer equipment dropped at an address half a mile away. Check. Having priority mail returned after spending an inordinate amount of time getting assurance that the postage and addressing were correct. Check. I could write a book about how the service is from all three. Running a small business that relies on those entities will erase any faith you have in them.

Sending your gear ahead ihas all the risks of putting it in checked baggage with the addition that you need to have a reliable contact at the other end, correct addressing, etc

Again just put all the valuable stuff in carry on. It's that freaking simple.

PennKev wrote:
Whatever you think you gotta do.

You have a lot of experience with the airlines and I have a lot of experience with UPS, USPS, and FedEx.

They are not much, if any better then the airlines. Busted rods. Check. Smashed monitors left on the front porch. Check. Computer equipment dropped at an address half a mile away. Check. Having priority mail returned after spending an inordinate amount of time getting assurance that the postage and addressing were correct. Check. I could write a book about how the service is from all three. Running a small business that relies on those entities will erase any faith you have in them.

Sending your gear ahead ihas all the risks of putting it in checked baggage with the addition that you need to have a reliable contact at the other end, correct addressing, etc

Again just put all the valuable stuff in carry on. It's that freaking simple.

^ Yessireebobby. Ya think UPS is better than USAir?!?! :roll:

Back