Best felt wading shoes?

wbranch

wbranch

I'm looking to buy a new pair of felt soles wading shoes and am soliciting opinions from all you PAflyfish experts. I have zero interest in any of the Vibram soles. I'm willing to spend up to $175. Thanks in advance!

Chota GG

I really like the Korkers Wraptr. Best of both worlds and exceptional ankle support.

Another vote for Chota for a bunch of reasons:

Quality product that is VERY comfortable and fits great, even if you have a wide foot. They are well made and hold up well, I’ve had pairs last for years.

The Chota STL Plus version has built in posts to accept studs so the studs won’t loosen or pull out like they can when screwed into just a plain felt sole. This allows easy swapping or mixing of two different stud types. The posts are also slightly recessed so any stud screwed into them doesn’t stick out too far.

You don't want your studs to stick out too far for a lot of reasons.

Decent grip & wear for a synthetic felt sole which extends all the way to the edge of the sole & heel, unlike the Korkers. If you think that isn’t important, try getting a grip on a rock with the just the tip of the sole or the edge of the sole on a shoe that doesn’t have felt all the way to the edges and you’ll know what I mean.

A good hard heel counter, mesh drain holes and shock cord laces, which I like better than the Boa system. You can use regular laces if need be.

One of the ONLY wading shoes out there that has a regular stacked heel versus a cheap cop-out wedge heel. A stacked heel gives WAY better grip because the edge of the heel will grab if your foot starts to slide on a rock. A wedge heel is just a flat sole that will slide.

Probably not the greatest ankle support, which is another reason why I like them. I personally HATE stiff wading shoes that feel like ski boots. Try fishing crouched down or on your knees and see how those stiff boots feel after a couple of hours. I also never understood why ankle support is so important when tons of anglers wear wading sandals and sneaker-like wading shoes.

Bottom line, a lot of shoe for under $150, even less if you find them on sale.

If you go the Chota STL Plus route, try the Orvis Posigrip carbide studs INSTEAD of the supplied Chota STL studs. While the Posigrips aren’t cheap, they have great bite and last forever while the Chota studs get dull a LOT quicker.

Even if you buy the Posigrip studs at the list price, you would still be around or under $175 for the Chota + the studs.

Good luck!

"Try fishing crouched down or on your knees and see how those stiff boots feel after a couple of hours. I also never understood why ankle support is so important when tons of anglers wear wading sandals and sneaker-like wading shoes."

Good point, I guess ankle support really depends on what type of waterway you are fishing. Less ankle support is probably essential on very shallow streams where you need to sneak up on fish. But what about deeper waters with faster flow and large rocks or hidden boulders on the bottom?

The biggest "plus" I can give Korkers is the ability to swap out the soles on the fly. I often hike in or out several miles. If I wore exclusively felt soles I'd wear them out in no time. Then I'd have to get new boots. That's what I meant above when I said best of both worlds. Enter the water with the felt, hike out on the rubber.

I clicked on the Chota link and size 12 & 13 were both sold out. BTW if I am a size 12 street shoe should I go up one size to a #13 or stick with the #12? I don't wear thick wading socks.

wbranch wrote:
I clicked on the Chota link and size 12 & 13 were both sold out. BTW if I am a size 12 street shoe should I go up one size to a #13 or stick with the #12? I don't wear thick wading socks.

First, just Google Chota STL Plus and see what you find versus clicking on the link I provided. You will probably find any size you need and better prices.

Second, I wear a size 10.5 or an 11 street shoe and go with a size 12 Chota. I typically wear a heavy sock plus the Neoprene wader bootee and the fit is perfect.

I think going with your street shoe size may work when the shoes are new, but as they get old and shrink a bit, you may have issues.

In other words I'd go to a 13.

Does anyone still make wading shoes with spiked felt?

That's what I used in the past and they were great. The traction was very good. And the spikes prevented the felt from wearing out quickly. They lasted a long time, even when doing a lot of miles of walking on brookie streams.

If you mean with studs already in the felt, that is an option with Korkers, Simms offers a pair and there are some other brands I am unfamiliar with (cheaper options) with studded felt.

The longest lasting felt soled boots I've ever owned, are the Weinbrenner Borger boots.
I know they haven't been made for quite awhile now.
However, I found a brand new pair in my size- with studs - a little over a year ago, at a flea market. $15! I quickly scooped them up.

Most comfortable felt soled boots I've owned - Patagonia ultralight

While it is true that one of the Korkers interchangeable sole options is a studded or spiked felt, my experience with them is that they wear out about twice as quick as anything else I've ever owned. I go through two sets a season. I have 5 used up sets of them sitting in my basement. Once they wear down enough, the studs start falling out. I love my Korkers, but they need to change felt type to something more durable. Especially at $39.95 a pop for the studded felts.

wbranch

Wading boot Comfort all depends on foot size / boot volume - Simms Freestone boot model works best for me as they are wide having a EEE width. I have a high volume foot and wear a 10.5 street shoe and wear a sz 12 in these. Simms offered these in studded felt in the past but I believe today you need to purchase the studs or cleats and add them yourself. They also offer this model in Vibram sole which i woudn't wear without first putting studs in them. Simms changes this model slightly every few years so I'd try them at a local retailer. They have been a best selling model for Simms for a long long time.

Another vote for chotas. Unless you can find a pair of Weinbrenner borger boots or danner river grippers. I wore the chotas in the same size as my sneakers.

troutbert wrote;

Does anyone still make wading shoes with spiked felt?

I'm not sure but I drill 3/32" holes right through my felts in a dozen places and screw in Chota carbide studs.

Freestones are a dependable and reasonably priced wading shoe. Over the years I have owned three pairs of felt soles and one pair of the Vibram soles that I wore to a trip to Alaska and sold here as soon as I got home. I hate Vibram soles. Useless for where I prefer to fish.

Thanks again for all the suggestions on wading shoes. I looked at the Chota web site and they actually offer three styles of wading shoes. Has anyone ever bought their Citico or East Prong Felt Sole? I actually prefer synthetic uppers to leather - less stiffness and shrinkage when they are dry. It appears they have the same material felt sole and options for cleats. They list for $85 - $99 depending on style.

Bamboozle wrote:
If you mean with studs already in the felt, that is an option with Korkers, Simms offers a pair and there are some other brands I am unfamiliar with (cheaper options) with studded felt.

Back in the 1990s I bought Simms wading shoes that had felt soles with lots of small spikes built into it.

These provided really good traction, and lasted a long time, even though I was doing a lot of long treks on mountain streams.

The spikes were small and there were lots of them. The studs commonly used today are larger and typically fewer are used.

I did some Google searches and didn't find anything similar. Maybe that type of sole just isn't made anymore.

I also had a pair of Freestones with the smaller studs already installed. I don't believe they are offered any more.

houncer wrote:
I really like the Korkers Wraptr. Best of both worlds and exceptional ankle support.

I absolutely love my Krokers Wraptrs but sadly they have been discontinued. They are holding up the best of any wading boot I've had lately.

My Wraptrs did not hold up. Fortunately Korkers warranty service was excellent. I was offered my choice of any boot in their lineup for replacement.

Back