Best 5wt Rod

Raven456

Raven456

Just thought that I would poll the masses: I'm looking for a new 9' (probobly) 5wt medium-fast action rod under $300 and was wondering what everyone thinks is the best available rod.

I received an 8.5' 5wt Sage Launch for Christmas last year. I use it primarily for nymphing, and I think that it is an excellent rod for the money. I have fished everything from 3 inch weighted streamers to size 26 midges on it. This rod should also fit the action you are looking for. It is not the lightest rod, but it will balance very nicely with the right reel (~5.5 oz). I think they are still on sale through Cabela's right now as well. You could probably get a rod, reel, and high-end line for $300. If you decide to go for a faster action, I would recommend the Redington CPX (or CPS). I have cast a few of these and a 9' 5wt would be awesome for fishing dries on larger water.

Thanks for the input. I have been considering a Sage Launch, especially since they are on sale, and I also want to cast the new Sage Vantage. I had a Winston Vapor and I hated it. At first I liked it but soon came to the conclusio that it was just too fast for my casting/fishing style. That's why I'm looking for someting med/fast. If I don't find anything that really peaks my interest, I'll probobly go with the Launch.

I'm another Sage fan and I've had nothing but great experience with the Launch. I have one in a 9ft 5wt unfortunately 2 pieces, wish I'd have gone 4 pieces but its still a great rod. Even if the rod were more $$ at full retail, I'd have paid for it because I enjoy casting it that much. They are a real bargain now since they're being discontinued. As I have suggested anytime somebody is buying a rod and asks for opinions, cast them first. What I like you may not like. The Vantage looks like a fine rod too, I'll be looking forward to checking one out in a fly shop.

There are plenty of good options from all manufacturers under $300, especially with new product coming out there are plenty on sale. I'll stick with Sage, I like that they are still made in the US, but most important they feel good in my hands when casting them.

This is a tough question to answer as there are many options and things like med-fast action are hard to pin down exactly. Everyone may have a different opinon of what that is. Also, the fishing method can influence which rod you may want to select. Answer these questions if possible and I will offer you my best suggestions based on your answers.
What type of water will you be fishing?
Method ie. nymphing, dry flies, streamers etc..?
What is your current favorite rod and what do you like about it?
What is your least favorite rod and why didn't you like it?
What other factors are important to you ie. handle shape, reel seat, color, guide style etc?

Try the Orvis T3. Sorry they are $340. My son owns 4 Sages and he loves them all, but there allot of good things about the T3 instead of going for the lower end Sage. The T3 has been a steady Eddie which should say something. It's not med-fast it's fast but it doesn't have the noodle tip like some rods which makes it a really smooth casting rod as well as a great nymphing rod. You can try one out at any Orvis store. Don't buy your rod through the mail. You'll know better when it's in your hand. Have fun shopping. Sage is a good rod but it's always fun kicking tires. abbrod has a point, you do need to identify what you need the rod to do. There are better rods for certain applications.

I have three T3's and I love all of them. That's the one rod I would spend a little more for but apparently Orvis has sold out of them. They have a 905-4 Tip Flex that would be perfect but I can't find one.

the t3 is discontinued , the power matrix is getting a upgrade and bringing back the zero gravity !

Has anyone had a chance to try one of those Loop A.E.G. 5 Wt.'s?

I have a 9 ft 5 wt Loomis GL3 that I love. JayL has that rod too, and I've heard him echo similar comments.

don't know if i would suggest buying a loomis at this point ..... who knows what the future holds , maybe orvis or sage might be a better choice !!!!

I only have a few circular rods in my inventory go with Sage. It does not matter if it is their cheaper starter rods or their high end rods you can’t go wrong.

Joe E

Scott Rods - they have all the options depending on your budget and needs. American made and great warranty

JoeE wrote:
I only have a few circular rods in my inventory go with Sage. It does not matter if it is their cheaper starter rods or their high end rods you can’t go wrong.

Joe E

I don't think you could go wrong with Sage. My son has 4 and he wouldn't part with one of them. He also has a G.Loomis you couldn't rip from his hands. Many others.

I have my one T3. So take it with a grain of salt. It is just the perfect rod for me for what I use it for. Too bad they are dropping it. I won't ever buy a Helios. Really not the rod for me should I upgrade. I'll look at Sage. I'm still waiting on a tip replacement from Orvis, they should have had the rod back by now. :(

Stolb3rg wrote:
Has anyone had a chance to try one of those Loop A.E.G. 5 Wt.'s?

I have not but have casted loops in the past and they are some sweet rods. The 5wt AEG can be had on various websites for $199 right now, which is pretty tempting to me as I'd like to add another 5wt to my quiver.

Add a couple more bucks and get a TCX

I settled on an Orvis Zero G 590-4 Tipflex. I love my T3's and hope I will love this one as well which will be used almost exclusively for large streamers and big nymphs.

Let us all know how you like it.

Back