Best 5 wt for under $250.00

F

Fishinmagician

Guys/girls,
In your opinion what is the best 5 wt overall for 250.00, I would like to spend more, but don't want to break the bank. Any input would be great, thanks in advance.
Many thanks,
Don

I built a 4 piece 9 ft 5 weight Mudhole MHX that I like a lot. It cost around $150 and has a great warranty. I am in SE PA too and could help with the build, if you're interested.

The Winston Passport 9'0 5wt is a good one. Available here from a PA Flyfish sponser.

Check Risen Fly ITB 5wt

Shadow Fly Rods also, I have the Warrior in 7wt

Thanks for the quick responses, I got some thinking to do... I have a 4 wt sage ~ 20 years old now. That is my go to rod, for most things trout. I also have a 8wt sage for steelheadin, and a 10 wt loomis for the salt. A lot to choose from. Reason being, I am planing a trip out west this summer, to flyfish with a good friend. And with the wind from what I heard, could be too much for the 4 wt. I am not exactly sure yet where we are going exactly, still in choosing mode. That will have to be posted on another thread. By the way, I never heard of a Winston rod for that kind of money.... wow

Describe 'best 5 weight fly rod'. Do you like a tip flex or mid flex? Will it be used out west only or see action in Pa?

You got ......

St Croix Imperial ($200) and Avid ($250) models

TFO BVK ($225)

Redington CPX closeouts ($125-$175)

Winston Passport $???

Orvis Clearwater II ($225-250)

Don't forget to check places like cabelas, bass pro, Sierra trading post or wherever for closeouts and sales. I know cabelas does that spring great outdoor days sale.

Something that would help folks advise on the best rod, for you, would be exactly which 4wt you're fishin' now, and maybe that 8wt too. If you like the way they cast or maybe itchin' for something different, that'll help steer the options for you. Otherwise, there's a boatload of 'best' 5wts out there in your budget....

And to toss a wrench into the mix, since you already have a four, maybe consider a 6wt instead of a 5 and broaden your covered niches. I've battled the wind out there with a 5wt, tossin' foam hoppers and such. It was manageable but when I go back there'll definitely be a 6wt in the tube.

Agreed. Heading west and windy condition with big flies....6wt would be my choice. I'll bet you can pick up a Sage RPL+ used and in good shape under your budget limit. If that's the 4wt you have and love it, the 6wt should be just about the same feel / performance. You can find other used model (high end but a few years old) for good prices if you keep your eyes open.

Agreed. Heading west and windy condition with big flies....6wt would be my choice. I'll bet you can pick up a Sage RPL+ used and in good shape under your budget limit. If that's the 4wt you have and love it, the 6wt should be just about the same feel / performance. You can find other used model (high end but a few years old) for good prices if you keep your eyes open.

Krayfish,
I have been talking back and forth with my buddy and I would like to fish the snake river... But still undecided. I do have a sage 490 rpl 4 wt. I did really think about a 6 wt. But most likley wouldn't use it much after the trip out west, except for bass mostly. But the plan is to throw big dries, I do like medium to fast action rods though for thr most part. I really do mostly nymph fishing, with a lot of high sticking drifts. So weight might be a factor. I will only fish dries if the hatch is really ON. Thanks for all the great info all you guys provided ! Still undecided so far...
Many Thanks,
Don

If it's something you probably won't use after the trip, here ya go.....

Redington Pursuit 9' 6wt. Cabelas has them for $70 in the cave right now. Sierra trading post has the combo for $126 which includes a Rio Mainstream line. You could get a 6wt and 7wt set up for around what you wanted to spend. You then have an excuse to try tossing big streamer for trout, smallmouth, carp, light saltwater, steelhead, Lehigh or Delaware rivers. Did that fix it or create more problems. LMAO

BTW, a TFO Axiom 6wt or BVK would be solid for out west. $225-$275

custom built for under 200.00 !

In the most for your dollar category is the BVK. Buy the 9' 5wt version and either a 5wt GPX (et al) or AFTMA-weighted 6wt line.

At that point, you have a rod that complements a 8' 4wt rod which you'll use when you visit bigger water or windy days.

The rod will come in under budget, be useful for more than one trip out west, and come with a $25 lifetime guarantee.

YMMV. Try before you buy. Test cast. Etc. Usual disclaimers instead of buying something based on the word of mouth of a bunch of Internet people who aren't using your credit card. Etc.

Thanks Gary. You have injured my feelings. Meanie.

A Gray's FX2 is another good choice, near to your price range (about $20 over).

Thanks for all of your responses, I really appreciate it. You have been a great help. And yes my head is spinning with all these choices. I would really like to test these rods out, as some one mentioned above. French Creek outfitters is the closest place to me. I will have to stop in there and see if that is possible. Now all I have to do is find a reel, and pick out a good all aroud fly line for nymphing in cold water and dry flies in warm water... lol :lol:

Just got an email from L Bean about a 20% off sale on fishing gear. Short window, but you might want to check it out.

The Risen ITB is solid (Although a little heavy for dries IMO). You should also check out the Echo Carbon. I just picked up a 3 wt and LOVE IT.

Ll bean looks pretty interesting... Good ratings on there rods !

Send me an email and I can set you up with a great deal on one of our 9ft 5wts.

We even offer demos.

If your interested in the lightest 9ft 5wts on the market with extra tip sections and lifetime warranties for under $250.00 email

info@shadowflyfishing.com

I want to thank everyone on the forum for suggesting our rods. I can not wait till more fisherman get these rods in hand. I truly feel they are one of the best values in fly fishing right now. Just need more time being we are new.

If anyone swings by Volant to do some fishing stop into the shop and ask bob to cast them.

On another note, we are working on our PA made fly reel right now. As well as some other projects made here at home. Can not wait to get these other game changing products out.

Thanks guys!

Back