Bernhart Lake aka Bernharts Dam - draining started - future ST benefit?

M

Mike

Bernharts Dam, constructed long ago on Bernharts Ck, a wild ST stream upstream from the impoundment or the former smaller impoundment above that, is at the start of a drawdown. This could allow a downstream expansion of the ST population in the future and perhaps present an opportunity to enhance habitat for an isolated, allopatric ST population in the future. The property is owned by the City of Reading but is in Muhlenberg Twsp outside of Reading.

Grew up there. Never knew that creek had bookies until right before I moved away in 89. Used to just go up there for bluegills before that. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Don’t feel bad, the only reason why I knew was because a good friend and trustworthy individual regarding fish ID was collecting bait there and got a fingerling ST in his minnow net. I had the same experience on a southern Lancaster Co BT stream. The only reason why I knew professionally for a long time that it was a likely a wild BT stream was that I remembered as a kid in one of probably 100 shiner collecting adventures there we once captured a BT fingerling, the first wild trout that I ever saw.

Last edited:
Berks Co, but the vast majority of my fishing was at the Conowingo Pool of the Susquehanna for channel cats, walleye, and crappie. Fished Bernharts Dam a couple of times as a kid.

Last edited:
Back