Berkley Vanish

CLSports

CLSports

Does anyone have any opinions on the quality of the Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon lines?

I bought two large spools last year of 6 and 8 lb. test to use as tippet for Steelhead fishing. They are very inexpensive compared to most other brands, but I question whether they are even worth using. I have been reading some reviews of this line and most have not been favorable.

I used it for the first time last November on the SR and I hooked three fish and lost each fish due to the line breaking. I used it again in Erie and went 6 for 15 on the 8lb test line. Now this is not all that unusual, but I would hate to think my cheap line was the cause of more lost fish.

I also have spools of Seaguar & Maxima fluoro line which I have used many times over the years and even though I have definitely lost my share of fish with these lines as well, I still question the quality of this Berkley line

Here is one benchmark test I found:

Link

I bought a spool of 4 lb test on sale several years ago to use on my spin rod. I only use the spin rod about 5 times a year but I never had any problem with fish breaking off the vanish line. Of course, I was only fishing for trout and probably landed nothing over 16 inches on the few times I used the spin rod. I am not sure if you are using a full leader of the Vanish line or just adding tippet. I would not use the Vanish as tippet but rather just use a 7 or 9 foot piece to serve as both the leader and tippet. I have had knot breaking issues in the past while tying quality fluorocarbon tippet to quality mono leaders. I would suspect that using cheap fluorocarbon as a tippet on a mono leader may cause some problems. If you are not already, try using the Vanish for the entire leader/tippet set up. This should be adaquate for nymphing.

CL,

I've never used Vanish. I use Orvis SS for dries & Mirage for nymphing. One thing I can tell you though, Orvis SS in 2x (.009 in diameter) is rated at 11.5 lbs, and Trilene 6lb test line is also .009 (2x in FFing terms). They are the same diameter, but the tippet material is rated at nearly twice the break strength. Compare your line break strength and diameters. Food for thought.

Vanish is junk to use for tippet! Its fragile in cold water, and its tensile strength is horrid!

I did compare the lb test rating as well as the actual line diameter with the other brands that I have and they are not that far apart.

I just don't seem to trust the actual rating on this line after reading more in the link I had attached.

The line is very inexpense. It makes me wonder why . . .

Gribble,

That is probably all I need to hear to stop using it.

thanks

now im thinking why do these big game guys use 20 and 30 lb flouro? I guess cause of the great "abrasiveness" and not for the "invisiblity"...for cripes sakes its 20lb test!!...Vanish is for dem smart big mouth bass.....

I use it almost exclusively for nymphing/steelhead fishing. As mentioned above the fluro fishing lines have about half the strength to diamater ratio of tippet material, but for $5 per hundred yards I make it work. word of advice... advoid using tin shot with it

I've never tried Vanish myself but there have been many bad reviews on salmoncrazy about Vanish and cold water. I've been using Seaguar with no complaints.

I know gasp I use regualr mono for steelhead and all fishies! right off the spool 15.00 for 250 yards cant beat it! Seaugar!
FishOnCamp wrote:
I've never tried Vanish myself but there have been many bad reviews on salmoncrazy about Vanish and cold water. I've been using Seaguar with no complaints.

the vanish is horrible , i use the berkley 100 % fluoro and love it !!!

Back