Berkeley Spings, WV

F

fayettenamese

I will be down that way in a few weeks. Can anybody point me in the direction of some wild trout? All I have found online are WVDNR stocked lakes in that area.

Thanks

Pretty much, throw a stone and it will hit trout water.

The best thing I could tell you is to stay west of there. I live in Harpers Ferry and most stuff east of there gets too warm in the summer and holds stockies for a short time. The cacapon around where you are at is pretty water, and you can take 522 down to the national park in Virginia. The south branch of the Potomac would definitely be worth taking a short ride to explore also.

Just beware of Banjo Music, lol

Ha ha ha ha I almost said that in my post. There are some strange people in that area. If you get a chance to run the train from Romney up through the Trough, it is an awesome run and there are plenty of bald eagles to see.

Just about everyone's name is Skeeter there... Skeeter's Auto Body... Skeeter's Landscaping...

Cacapon is a nice river to kayak and fish but never caught a trout there.

Make sure you take a dip in Washington's bathtub downtown.

Thanks guys. The Cacapon area is what I have found the most literature about online. I will likely hop from small trib to small trib in that area for a few hours each day I'm down there.

I live in the mountains in Fayette Co, PA, so the banjo music and folks named "Skeeter" are a part of my daily life haha

I like Berkeley Springs...it is a nice little town in a pretty location. I've made quite a few stops there and have spent some time enjoying the area. I've never fished there, though. I believe the real name of the town is Bath....kind of strange is has two names.

Never fished there.
But my wife and I stopped there once. And we took the mineral soak at the state park. Big roman bath type tubs that they fill with heated water from the springs. Pretty neat.
George Washington used to go there to soak his bones.

Try the Earth Dog Cafe while you're there.

I have heard about that café, but I have never been there. We need to try it out. Most of the fishing will be in Cacapon or on the branches of the Potomac.

The Corner Steak & Sea is a little pricey but the food is very good.

I wish I had more to offer you. I do not do much fishing in WV. Most of the time I go down to the park or come to PA. Apparently I need to do some exploring.

Back