Benefits of Fiberglass over Graphite?

Longbow

Longbow

This may have been discussed many times, but I am in the market for a small 2 wt and have seen some made of fiberglass like the Reddington Butter Stick, etc. What benefits if any does a fiberglass rod have over a graphite? Looking at a Lamiglass rod now.
Thank you!

I know I sound like a broken record, but you really have to cast different rods and decide for your self. Some FFers love fiberglass rods, while others absolutely hate them...and everything in between.

Glass rods are almost always heavier than graphite, and to some, give a feel sort of like bamboo. Not always, but In general, fiberglass rod action tends to be slower (flexes further down the rod towards the butt).

Well over 90% of the rods sold today are made of graphite, but in the last couple of years the several of the rod manufacturers have begun to offer a line of fiberglass rods.

I would recommend you cast both types of rods before you buy. Also I would look at different rod weights and lengths before buying. A 2wt rod is very limited for most fishing, even for small streams. Some of the small stream guys on here that really know their stuff recommend faster 4 or 5 wts and often overline.

Anyway, take your time and do your due diligence before you decide. Good luck.

Agree w/ afish. There's no benefit, only preference. I love glass 'cause I love the feel of that rod bending right down to the cork. I like the slower action. Some people hate that, and want a really fast rod.

Its all about what YOU like and what works for your style of fishing. The beauty of the modern market is, we have a lot of options to really taylor the rods to the users.

There's a big difference between the old fiberglasses, made from E Glass, and the current run of new designs, often using higher modulus fibers such as S Glass.

The new sticks, even the very inexpensive Cabela's series, do a great job with fine tippets.

longbow - maybe we should hit a stream together. I can bring a bunch of 1-3wts as well as glasses (old and new) for you to try out on the trouts.

Lestrout, that would be great. Just let me know. I live in the Chadds Ford area. I was thinking about hitting valley this evening.

When you cast rods, cast them how you'll use them. There's no point in seeing how a dedicated small brushy stream rod handles a 40ft cast if its only fished with 5ft-10ft of flyline out of the top. This goes hand in hand with the overlining recommendation. I did that with my 6'6" 3wt, and it was like night and day. Heck, don't be afraid to overline 2 line wts. There's a Joe Humphreys "Tight Brush" DVD, that I found. He doesn't detail the wt the rod is rated, but he uses a 6 or 7wt line. It loads incredibly, and shoots line like crazy. You might also be able to get by with cutting some of the front taper off.

Its just my opinion, but I wouldn't fish anything below a 3wt. Brookies aren't shy of heavier tippet. The faster you can bring them in, the less likely they are to wrap you around a rock, and the less fatigued they will be. Not to mention that they can actually hook themselves badly when trying to hide under rocks etc.

Back