bended bamboo tip

skybay

skybay

Anybody knows how to fix bended bamboo tip section?

Heat and time heat bend opposite. Repeat until straight, dont go crazy lije I did and break the tip, nice n easy.

After years and years of considering how to remove a set from bamboo, most people concluded that the set adds character to the rod :cool:

Use heat as described, but a very soft heat. hold over a toaster or use a hair dryer. Don't get it too hot and slowly work out the bend.

Fine, or I can use clothes steamer; slowly and gently apply the steam and carefully bend.

Jack: you are absolutely right, but the next time when you see me at the jam ask me: “how is bending, not how is hanging…!” :-D

"How's it bending?"

"To the right."

I think you will find that the removal of a set is going to be temporary if it works at all. So, if you want a few nice snapshots of a straight bamboo pole, by all means, go for it. But, I suspect after a couple decent fish or a few hundred casts, you'll be seeing the old rod-- with character, of course.

The old rod method that DJBerg gives will work and they do stay put sometimes, It's usually caused from leaning them in the first place. Clouser used to talk about using a wet hot towell and go easy......more than one time is the norm , advance in increments until you get it where you want it and even a little past where you want it. YOU"LL GET IT!!!

I've made several bamboo rods from Anglers Roost, and first made wood cases for them (from trim wood stock) before I ordered. They have lengthwise "channels and ribs" lined with felt that the pieces fit into.

When I received the blanks, they went right into the case so they never had a chance to take a set during the build or after. The rods stay nice & straight.

If an old rod needs straightening, it might be beneficial if the same approach was taken to store the rod during the straightening process & thereafter. If anybody wants a photo, just message me your email and I'll send one off. It's as fun making the case as it is building the rod.

A lot depends on how bad the tip set is.

It's possible to straighten a mild tip set just by applying a little pressure with your hands. I've also used the electric heating element of a stove, at a reasonable distance. You want to hold it maybe 1' above the coil and touch the heated cane every few seconds with bare hands, so you can feel it warming up. Stop short of it being too hot to touch. Use your common sense, be patient, bend it back in shape gradually.

If you scorch the varnish, you've done it wrong. If you see smoke, you've really done it wrong.

Sometimes it works permanently, other times the bend eventually comes back. There's no telling.

Ive also heard of people using steam. But that does tend to loosen the glue between the strips, and soften the varnish.

Common advice from cane freaks: if your tip gets a band from playing a big fish, switch it out with your spare tip. Or play the next fish with your rod upside down, so the tip bends in the opposite direction.

Weirdest thing about a bamboo fly rod with a tip set: as long as it's only a little bit warped, usually it still casts about the same. (The good ones cast pretty nice, imo.)

Back