Benchtop Organizer

NewSal

NewSal

Anyone have / know of any benchtop fly tying material organizer plans?
Would like to make an organizer for on top of the table - thread holders, tool holders, material slots ect..
Basically something like the ones you see on the orvis website, and the ones you find on ebay.
I'm a draftsman by trade so I can most certainly make my own plans from scratch but would be nice to have a set of plans to use as a template and then modify them accordingly to my taste.

Thanks in advance!

basically there are virtually no plans that i could find on the internet for any kind of tying bench or tool caddy

seeing that you are a draftsman (I was a submarine senior structural designer at retirement) my suggestion would be to GOOGLE "fly tying benches" and "fly tying tool caddies" and search the images for something YOU like a draw up the plans from there. the photos wont have dimensions but thats ok. you can figure that out by the size of the table you will be putting the bench on.

give yourself plenty of room on each side of your bench. you do not want to tie in a cramped position

you will need to take measurements of your existing tools and bottles to provide the holes in your project. how many holes is up to you. drill a few extra holes for additional tools or whatnot. add some shallow areas to hold beads or hooks. have places to add a magnet sheet for hooks.

1/8 inch brass or wooden dowels are sufficient for holding spools.

heres something i drew up a few years ago

tyingbench2.jpg

finished product

bench_zpsqll9wdix.jpg

now i just use an oasis tying bench

bench1_zpsdeaaf09a.jpg

Back