Bell Gap Run

Z

Zak

Did they ever do that wild brown trout removal? If so how'd it go?

I believe it’s slated for early November.
Don’t know how many streams are called bell gap or bells gap, but if we are talking about the same stream, I still don’t think they have gotten to it, I was there in late December and caught a few browns

Attachments

• IMG_5975.jpeg
    IMG_5975.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 42
It has not started. Still catching browns isn't an indicator. Removal will not be complete and information discussed on this topic on this forum suggests this has worked in other waterways only with multi-year efforts.

A decision was made to first survey the stream. An informal survey was conducted by Juniata college this fall, which confirmed the presence of browns. Action requires the approval/involvement of PFBC. The LJRA would like to see this happen and discussions are ongoing. There are some challenges, such as transporting the recovered BT from the section closer the reservoir where the density of BT is greater. Steep, rocky banks and hills. Not insurmountable though.
additional discussion was held at the December meeting, minutes pending.

There may be more discussions at the February meeting when Bryan Chikotas, Fisheries Manager for the southcentral district is scheduled to present on fisheries management programs in the area. It will be an opportunity to respectfully ask questions. See: https://www.littlejuniata.net/

Back