Being odd

L

Lkyboots

Seems like I'm always not fitting in the norm. When I was just a youngster I started fly fishing, all my other buddies were throwing Rooster Tails. Fly fishing in those days was a lonely sport.

Now every where I go they ask for my EMail, I don't carry a cell phone or even wear a watch. I always know what time it is, breakfast when I wake up, lunch time when I get hungry and the same for dinner.

I tied a bunch of Covid flies over the winter and like to give a box of flies to someone every year. This year I gave a box to a person works with my daughter in law. I saw him later and he asked what those flies were called. The best answer I could give him is they're hybrids. I was never was taught how to tie so I always just winged it. My fly box looks like someone on a acid trip took up fly tying.

Many years ago I started fishing in the afternoon. I do 90% of my fly fishing between 11AM and 3 PM. Fishing during the week you have the streams all to yourself.

Covid has changed a lot of people's lives, I've been social distancing most of my adult life. Being the oddball fits me perfect.

I don't think of it as being an oddball.

I think of it as going your own way.

There's darn few of us left.

Proof?

Look at all the guys sportin' $1000 costumes, dressed up like they just stepped off the cover of Sports Afield, weighed down by every conceivable gadget.

They look down their noses at me with my slouch hat, rubber hip waders, the small box of flies in my jeans pocket and my fiberglass Fenwick w/ Pflueger Medalist...

They're chasing the same critter with a brain the size of a pea as I am. It's just that I didn't spend $1000 on my costume... and I don't look like an advertisement...

I guess that makes me an "oddball" too...

So What your sayin is that you're more the Diluth Trading look, lol?

I have similar issues. I don't begrudge the folks that can afford it, they earned it. I prefer the tic tic tic of an old medalist on a fiberglas rod. In the summer I wear a wide brim straw hat just like my ancestors wore.

I'm an oddball because I actually prefer Pickerel and sunfish species over all other species. Its lonely sometimes and whenever I meet someone with similar tastes they're ancient:)

Nothing odd at all. Some of us are simply round pegs in a world full of squares.

Baron wrote:
So What your sayin is that you're more the Diluth Trading look, lol?

I have similar issues. I don't begrudge the folks that can afford it, they earned it. I prefer the tic tic tic of an old medalist on a fiberglas rod. In the summer I wear a wide brim straw hat just like my ancestors wore.

I'm an oddball because I actually prefer Pickerel and sunfish species over all other species. Its lonely sometimes and whenever I meet someone with similar tastes they're ancient:)

Redbreast sunfish and a 4 weight is more enjoyable than almost any fishing to me. Shoot, redbreasts might be my favorite "gamefish."

I don't know that it makes me particularly odd, perhaps different, but I much prefer fishing alone. I have a taken a friend along with me on a handful of occasions, but I don't get the same feeling of a "wild" experience on the streams I fish, that I get when I'm fishing alone. If this feeling makes me odd, I'm ok with it.

I think it might have something to do with the pace that I fish, as some anglers enjoy spending 15 mins at the same pool/run. I'm not that guy. I like to cover as much stream as I can with my allotted time. Two, three, or four casts and I'm on the move. I also cherish the fact that I'm fishing undisturbed water for the day.

I will stand and try to catch a certain fish or a pod of larger rising fish for as long as it takes. Sometimes that's a few hours. To each his own. I enjoy fishing alone very much.

Back