Beginning Streamer Questions

jjensen35

jjensen35

Very new to streamer fishing and need some help to get me started on the right foot. I'm looking to understand what situations are the best time to think about breaking out the streamers..... Other than just looking for bigger fish. I've heard or read very late in the day or evening....? Murky water conditions.....? Deeper pools or runs (kind of obvious)......? Looking for confirmation or comment on these, but any and all suggestions that might improve my odds when I do break them out. Size? Color or type? Sinking line or either or? When to use a weighted streamer vs. unweighted? Really appreciate any help experience or perspective anyone can offer.

In general there's not really a bad time to use streamers IMO...unless maybe there is a massive hatch going on that the fish are keyed in on. The thing that makes streamers so versatile is you can fish them so many ways...dead drift when the fish are sluggish, swing across the current lanes, or actively strip for more active fish. When the water is cooler and there isn't any surface activity (Winter and early Spring) I fish streamers probably 90% of the time. A lot of guys nymph this time of year, but I have better luck on streamers...usually presented just dead drifted or swung and just left to hang in the current. When the water is high and muddy, that's definitely a time for streamers too.

Size: Depends on who you ask...I generally fish smaller streamers (normally sizes 8-12, but I have size 14 Buggers that I fish for Brookies with), but I don't mind catching the little guys too. I think there is probably merit to bigger streamers catching bigger fish though. For your average sized trout in PA, I think size 10 is probably about right.

Color: For Trout, mainly black and olive. Fresh stockies, especially Rainbows seem to like white. Black in murkier conditions, olive in clearer conditions. For WW species (Bass/Sunfish), I like white and chartruse or a comination thereof.

Type: Again a personal preferance thing. Woolly Buggers will cover the most bases probably though, and if I had to pick just one, that's what I'd go with. Most of my streamer fishing is with some variation of a Bugger. Clousers, Sculpins, Crayfish, and others all have their place though too.

Weight: I generally like mine weighted...you want to get them down and then bring them back up as you strip or swing them across the current. Sometimes I'll even add a split shot 8 inches or so ahead of the weighted streamer. For most applications a weighted fly and a floating line is probably ok. If you're investing in an exclusive streamer set up or fishing larger, deeper rivers, then a sink tip line may be the way to go.

Hope that helps ya a bit, and good luck. Streamers catch the most fish per cast of any type of fly IMO and they're a good place to start...you get to practice several techniques all on one cast.

Thanks so much. That's exactlly the type of information I was looking for to get me started. Hopefully I'll get a few more suggestions as well.

I can't let a streamer conversation go without saying the names Lefty and Bob , both of those fellows creations are worth the time to try them.

Becoming a really good streamer fisherman requires accepting that it is an art/science as demanding as any other form of fly fishing and not just for those who lack the acumen of "NYMPH" artistes.
With experience you learn there will be times,places and fishing situations where streamers are best used.
Other times better to use other methods or mow the grass.
watch which advice you take.
also when you are familiar enough to narrow your choices you will need to decide if you are trophy hunter at heart or the catch as catch can type.Two entirely different approaches.
good luck.

Another add on question and comment.... For PA trout, between clouser minnows and sculpins do you have any comments about which fit into different situations? Should I look at using either and just focus more on color and size?

To clarify my interest in streamers other than I eventually want to become proficient in all forms of fly fishing. Trout being my focus at this point in time. I like the occasional concept of size over quantity when you've had a successful day or few days and don't mind making what could be a lot of casts in the hopes for something special (Big). But to be honest, at 53 my eyes aren't what they used to be and I really struggle to see dry flies (preferrably without a strike indicator) on the surface of the water. This has led me to spend a lot more time as a nymph fishermen staring at my strike indicator. Especially since 80% (at least what I've read) of a trouts diet is under water stuff.

I guess my point is that the other aspect of Streamers that I think I'd like and would fit my vision disability is that you don't a strike indicator since your in much more direct contact with you streamer than you might be with a dry or nymph.

Again, thanks for all the advice guys.

I have been fly fishing for 5 years or so - and still have a lot to learn. I started out nymphing and throwing dries on occasion when the conditions permitted it. Each year, I tried to add another phase of fly fishing to my arsenal. A couple of years ago, it was soft hackles, and I immediately noticed an increase in the numbers of fish I caught each time.

Last year, it was streamers. Based on some advice from guys on this very board, I fished streamers a lot more - caught the one in my avatar on a size 6 wooly bugger in high stained water the day after a big rain. I noticed another bump in numbers when I started fishing streamers.

I tend to cover a lot of water when I fish, and throwing streamers is another thing to try when I can't quite figure out what the fish are doing on a particular day. Even a small fish feels bigger when it hits a bugger at the end of a swing! I fish them anywhere I would normally nymph, but my favorite thing to do is cast the right up against a bank in a back eddy, start stripping right away, and hold on when the streamer hits the current!

Good stuff in this thread. Find it odd that the bugger is so popular for all types of species yet I have rarely fished with it b/ I do not know what to do with it. Good advice in here .. thanks

I fished streamers for a long,long time.Tried all the different types~feather wing,matukas,marabous,muddler minnows etc...
In my experience,for trout fishing, buggers in different types[flashabous,etc..]have made the others un needed.
Dark colors were more effective for me.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Good stuff in this thread. Find it odd that the bugger is so popular for all types of species yet I have rarely fished with it b/ I do not know what to do with it. Good advice in here .. thanks

Seriously, that is 90% of the answers for the "favorite fly" threads. I rarely fish buggers. Idk, doesnt apply to my sensibilities. I fish streamers almost exclusively on bigger water. I save the nymphing game for smaller streams. I need to buy pete a drink and learn the art of the bugger, cause clearly i am missing out on something big.

Bugger-type streamers just seem to do a great job of imitating fish food. One can alter color combinations and fishing techniques to mimic specific food items. Black bugger - it's a sculpin, white bugger - generic minnow, natural/tan bugger - crayfish, etc...

try krystal buggers with ice tinsel[or similar] bodies and not with feathers.Put some flashabou in tail-great early morning,dusk and nite fly-this is when the big ones prowl[except winter]..cast across,flip cast loop upstream,then let fly get
down and dirty[on bottom],use a palsy rod hand when streamer starts to swing up and across.Hang on.Don't strip until line straight below you.
Off course you need to know how to read water so that your fly goes into its fleeing motion at the point you expect the fish to hold.Seams,riffles ,eyes of pockets ,front of bottom bumps[rainbows] behind bumps[browns,etc..
Knowing where to concentrate more important than pattern.

pete41 wrote:
...use a palsy rod hand when streamer starts to swing up and across.

Lol - what the hell is a "palsy rod hand"!? Ok, I can figure it out from the context but I had to say something - that just cracked me up!

The main appeal for me using a streamer is the visual element. (when your stripping it). I love seeing fish hunt the fly down. I don't matter what kinda fish a trout, bass or a toothy. Its just Awsome!

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
The main appeal for me using a streamer is the visual element. (when your stripping it). I love seeing fish hunt the fly down. I don't matter what kinda fish a trout, bass or a toothy. Its just Awsome!

Good point - and even in you can't see the fish (as in high, stained water) your heart skips a beat when you see that boil behind your streamer!

What's also fun about fishing streamers for trout is that when you get a short strike or a miss, you can continue to target that fish, and often times catch it.

Visual aspect is rarely mentioned(typically associated with surface flies), but i agree with the above. Hands down, I fish streamers for the tactile appreciation of fly fishing. One of my favorite aspects of FFing is how close it puts you to the fish. Conventional gear disconnects you from the raw aspects of fishing. When you are stripping streamers and a fish hammers the fly, that taut feeling/line getting ripped from your fingers is just awesome. Gotta say I like to fish streamers because of the constant action too.

I agree that buggers can be tied to meet most of your needs for trout. White, olive (stocked bows love this color for some reason), brown and black are most common. A bugger will represent many things from bait fish to crayfish.
I use clousers a lot but haven't so much for trout. I am going to tie up an array of clousers for trout at some point, just haven't gotten around to it.
My favorite non-weighted fly is a Black Nose Dace. This has been effective when buggers and other streamer aren't. Also the lack of weight can help with fish that can be spooky and/or in clear/low water.

Some general comments....
-Weighted flies will sink (duh) but the type of weight can matter as well ie lead wraps (like many buggers have) will sink level, weight toward the hook eye like a cone head give the fly more of a jig action.
-Fishing low light is always a good idea. Streamers in the fall and spring are also effective.
-I like to keep it moving, it doesn't seem to make sense to work the same area repeatedly. If you make a good cast to a likely spot and no takes, then move on. If the likely "spots" aren't apparent to you, then move even faster until you figure out where the fish are.
-Trout kinda suck as bait fisherman sometimes, so expect misses, short strikes and poor hook ups. Of course some trout while absolutely inhale, but in general they aren't as good at this as say bass.
-if you really want to improve your streamer skills, fish the salt. Its like fishing streamers on steriods. Its also a good way to tune up your casting. Nothing get my double haul going more than looking out into the vast ocean wishing I could cast to the UK.
-Streamer fishing can compliment your other aspects of your "arsenal". Many times I've fished upstream with dries, then switch to a streamer when heading back down stream.
-the strip set instead of lifting the rod tip can be very helpful. For one it keeps the flies in front of the fish if they miss (sometimes they will strike again) and also keeps your fly outta trees etc

How heavy a tippet material do you streamer fishermen use?

Because trout slam streamers hard, often on a tight line, you need heavier tippet at the end of your leader then when dry fly or nymph fishing, or you'll get a lot of breakoffs.

But HOW heavy? What is too light, just right, and overkill?

troutbert wrote:
How heavy a tippet material do you streamer fishermen use?

Because trout slam streamers hard, often on a tight line, you need heavier tippet at the end of your leader then when dry fly or nymph fishing, or you'll get a lot of breakoffs.

But HOW heavy? What is too light, just right, and overkill?

3x is minimum for me, which is 8 lb test +/-, depending on the brand. 2x (12lb +/-) is not overkill for big trout in big rivers. 1x may be carrying it a little too far, but I wouldn't argue with anyone using it.

For Trout I usually use 3x...the brand I use is about 8lb test at 3x I think. For Bass and WW I use 10lb mono.

Back