Beginner with casting large flies

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I am looking for any good reference on double hauling casting techniques. I looked at youtube but the videos I watched seem to each have something different compared to the others. I am not new to fly fishing just new to casting large flies. I had my cousin take a slow motion video yesterday of casting one of my larger musky flies off of a boat and it made it pretty easy to see some of the things I am doing wrong. I think I am opening up my casting way too far. now I did have the rod canted a little as to keep the fly more away from me. 14" long fly with (2) 6/0 hooks is a little intimidating. I should have had sunglasses on for sure. Also although I don't feel like I am using my wrist, the video is proving that otherwise.

I'm going to practice in the yard but it can be tough to use the water to load on your first back cast. Getting those big flies started isn't easy, at least for me.

Im using a custom built MHX 9' 10 wt, and at the advice of the rod builder casting 11wt line.

Ill be working on it for sure. Here is the video, and like I said this is all new to me so don't be too rough on me.

https://youtu.be/1jsuh67-91w

seeing that fly on the horizon cracks me up though, looks like a black bird dive bombing me or something.

Watch April Vokey's "Double Haul" video...

Not to be a jerk, but you're not really hauling at all, your left hand is stationary. Afishanados video is a good one. This might not make sense, but I learned to double haul by casting just line without a rod. The only way to throw the line without a rod is to double haul.

The "casting line without a rod" idea is a very underutilized idea and helps with casting in general.

Moon,

I know I wasn't double hauling and is why I was asking for reference on how to do it. All new to chucking the big stuff and thought the double haul would be the best way to learn it.

Got ya. Double hauling (or at least single hauling) should help a lot with bigger flies. It's also useful for long casts and in the wind. Knowing how to haul line is a game changer.

mike_richardson wrote:
Moon,

I know I wasn't double hauling and is why I was asking for reference on how to do it. All new to chucking the big stuff and thought the double haul would be the best way to learn it.

Mike, as you know the Double haul will certainly help. The videos posted are a great tool. But there is nothing better than casting with someone who can do it well. I know you are a bit far from me. But if you ever have any plans of coming to Bucks county I would be happy to help.
Another thing I saw. I understand it is a very large fly. Why would you use 6/0 hooks? They are huge. I have no doubt you could use smaller hooks which would make the fly easier to cast.

GenCon

BrookieChaser wrote:
The "casting line without a rod" idea is a very underutilized idea and helps with casting in general.

i'll second that...and if you own a cat it can be entertaining as well.

Back