Beginner Tyer

detrapold

detrapold

I am thinking about buying a tying kit and was wondering what you guys would recommend? I see that Cabelas has several kits for under $100.00 and really don't want to spend a lot of money right this moment. Can you point me in the right direction. I have always admired your guys and others for the flies that you tie, but I want to learn and learn to catch trout on my own flies in the future.
Thanks Dave T.

I think you should go with a regal. The beginner goes for 120. Youll be really happy when you use it. Most pro use upgrade models of regals. It a easy and hold better then other vises. No messing around with adjusting hook size. Tying isn't cheap so I would dive head first into it. It awsome catch fish on your own flies. I still crack up when finding some of my first ties. You get better as time go on.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

Don't buy a kit. Look at Atlas vices, Decide what you want to tie and get those materials and hooks. Get a decent pair of scissors,hackle pliers and make a dubbing needle by putting a large needle into a cork or dowel.I also recommend a bobbin. This is the best way to start, if you decide to continue you can upgrade later.

i will probably get yelled at for saying this but for your first vice do not spend a lot of money on the thing because there is a chance you will not like this hobby . you probably will be able to get the majority of your money back if you were to buy a good quality vice such as the ones above if you sell it but for a beginner stick with a cheapo vice just till you get a feeling for it . other things to get basic whip finisher tool ,bobbin and a spool of thread or two (black and white treads in 6/0 danville ),a pair of scissors for your beginning patterns they are going to be larger in size so jsut get a pair of cheapo gold loops and leave the more expensive stuff alone till you get comfortabel tying ,a spool of copper wire size small or brassie if you are going to tie bigger stuff ie larger nymphs and streamers , and some flat mylar tinsle gold one side silver the other, lead wire or subistitute in .020 . other then that just get the materials you will need for the flys you want to tie (google fly name and get recipe ),as the problem with kits is often they will have subistitute materials to cover two or more patterns and very small quantities of materials so you only get a few flies out of the entire supply ,eventually if you like the fly tying thing you will want to upgrade and get a fancier modle of everything ,but in all reality i have tied a lot of flies on those (junk) vices and yea you can tell they will definatly wear out faster then a quality piece but you can still tie on them . infact most of the stuff im fishing with this year was tied on a 20 dollar el cheapo and they are catching fish.

Dave,
I'm not familiar with the contents of the Cabelas kit but it might be a good start. If you know specifically what flies you want to tie, ask the shop owner if you'll need additional materials. It shouldn't add too much to the cost.

Don't buy an expensive vise (at least not at this point in your tying career). I tied tens of thousands of flies when I was young with a cheapo Thompson A vise. After 35 years of fly tying I've still never owned a vise that cost over $100.
You don't need a fancy or big name vise.

I still tie with my Original Herters vise that I got when I was 12.
I'm now 54. I have other vises that I use but every now and then I have to set this one up for old times sake!

You've gotten some real good advise here. I tied on a thompson A vise for years until I got a rotary style, my son and daughter both learned on the same thompson. It's less money and more money that can be directed towards some material and such. Plenty of time to save and upgrade later on the vise. My first rod, reel,line and leader cost just over $50.00. I was scared to spend a bunch on anything at first because I had no idea if I'd like it or not, being a hardcore hardware bass fisherman it was quite a change. Good luck with tying.

OK here's a question as I am too a beginning flytyer. Is there a book out there specifically dedicated to Pennsylvania flies? I was just curious please let me know and thank you.

I agree with the posts about not going to crazy to start. I like the vice i bought at a yardsale for 15 bucks and use it more than the others. One thing i do suggest is a set of needle nose for pinching barbs i ruined a vice by constantly pinching the barbs on it.

I also agree with not buying a kit. Get a decent vice and get the materials for the flies you want to tie. this would be a good list in my opinion for starting out with tying nymphs and buggers. It may cost more than the kit but you wont regret tying these flies

vise
a few packs of 7/64 and 3/32 bead heads
few packs of size 10-16 nymph hooks
a few packs of egg hooks
a pack of pheasant tails
hares mask
brown thread
green vinyl rib- caddis
red rib-stockie killer
peacock
brown olive black and white- marabou and chenille
option of peal chenille- my favorite bugger- might not be correct name some one help me out
a grizzly neck- can be used on buggers and dryflies (well i do anyway) there are special necks for buggers but i like to get the most bang for my buck and what do you do with those excess feathers anyway
glo bug yarn
some lead wire
cone heads for buggers and other streamers
flash material
biots in white and brown
dubbing kit
copper wire thin and thick

this would be good for
wooly buggers in olive white brown and black
prince nymph
hares ear nymph
pheasant tail nymph
cadis larva
copper john
various streamers
misc home brew nymph creations
eggs

Tying is one of my favorite hobbies and i love sharing knowledge and home made paterns. My stockie killer patern was devastating on the after derby trout last night and i chalked up 24 brooks and rainbows. But as i said this is a stockie killer. I landed 16 in potter on the first day as well. I have yet to try it on wild trout or DHALO or FFO sections.

There is a thread on how to make it as well as a larger version picture. PM me for details on how to tie it. It is like a prince nymph variation.

Others may add to this list but this would be a good start for nymph and buggers. The dry fly guys can give you a better list on tying dries but for starting out nymphs are easy

add or subtract from my list guys if you want. I would like to know what ofther flies you suggest newbies tie so i can relay that info to newbies i know. Thanks.

Add white, black, and olive thread to that list as well and i think its called. PEARL CHENIILE

once u get ur materials start with one easy pattern, take a pheasent tail for explain...sit down and tie 12 of them in a row and u will see how they get better...u can also do thread counts so u do not over thread which is very easy to do...no matter what remember its a hobbie and its suppose to be fun...so enjoy it

also i will look tonight but i might have a older vise that i never use i can mail it to u if u wanted to save on that end

I agree with what every one has said as well. I started with scraps from different people that had all started tying but never got into it so were happy to find an owner for their dusty tools and feathers.... But the bug hit me hard and I couldn't stop buying new stuff! Fly tying nickels and dimes you... You buy ALOT of inexpensive materials.

Funny I used to swear up and down I would never tie flys...

OK here's a question as I am too a beginning flytyer. Is there a book out there specifically dedicated to Pennsylvania flies? I was just curious please let me know and thank you.

I just picked up the pocket guide to Pennsylvania hatches
So far it's an awesome book. Small enough for your back pocket or vest pocket.
I shows the the real fly and then the tied fly. give a small list of material to make said fly and also information about the real fly/bug. It also tells the body of water that it will most likely be found in.
21.95 @ Barnes and Noble
Found in the Pennsylvania section at my local B&N

Back