Beginner looking for streams

J

jasonromagna

Although I am a beginning fly-fisherman and just joined PAFF today, I have been fishing in other aspects for a long time. There is nothing I enjoy more, hence the reason I wanted to broaden my skills and interests in the sport and have turned to teaching my self to fly fish. With that being said, I wanted to seek out some advice on any trout streams in my area of the state that would be a good place to start, or are noted for their hatches. I live in northeastern Indiana County near Punxsutawney, PA (yes, the groundhog). No, I am not asking for your secret spot, or the place where you have located the 20+ monsters (if you are willing to share though, who am I not to listen), but I am trying to gain some knowledge of some newer streams known for fly fishing.

Any help with flies or spots would be helpful. Thanks!!

-Jaro

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/paatlas/

Top right --> show layers --> wildlife

Trout natural reproduction - the one I use most for searching. Lists all streams with wild trout present.

Class A - streams that are known to have a high biomass of wild trout, i.e. generally the best of the wild trout streams in terms of # of fish, though not always in how well it fishes with a rod and reel.

Hope that helps. Your up on the plateau there, and there are some good streams. But that area isn't well known for big hatches. For that, the closest area is going to be the famous central PA streams. The closest 2 of the famous bunch will be Spring Creek and the Little Juniata River. They are both doable in a day trip, though they are day trips, not after work type outings for you.

pcray..."Lists all streams with wild trout present."
Just saying ;-) Doesn't list them all-its back dated a little. Some of the newer streams are not on there-also ones not surveyed yet which are quite a lot.

I enjoy exploring and finding new streams myself. Sometimes you find nice ones sometimes you don't. Either way its still better then work :)

Thanks Pcray, i'm sure this will be helpful!

Just saying Doesn't list them all-its back dated a little. Some of the newer streams are not on there-also ones not surveyed yet which are quite a lot.

Fair enough. That said, the vast majority of the new adds are awfully dinky. Now, I love my small streams and am known to fish in drainage ditches on occasion. So for a hardcore junky like that, the new additions matter.

But I didn't take the OP to be that kind of guy. And I gave him as good of a starting point as can be hoped.

I'm from the same area, living just outside of Rossiter, shoot me a PM if interested

Back