Beginner Fly tying question

Weaves

Weaves

I hope I sized this photo properly.

I wasn't sure whether this is a question for the Beginner's forum or Fly Tying, but here goes...

I'm new at fly fishing and that rapidly let to fly tying. I tied a few Zebra Midge pattern flies for winter trout, and I tied them in 14, 16, and size 20. The attached photo is a size 20.

I noticed that I had a lot of trouble hooking trout with the size 20 hook. When I switched to a larger hook size, I caught two rainbows. Both were hooked in the upper lip. (And there was nothing like the feeling like catching a trout on a fly I tied, even if they were less than perfect).

Questions...

Is the bead too large for the size #20 ? (I think it was 7/64")

Was my hook setting too slow?

I'll take any advice on the fly that I tied or anything else regarding setting the hook using smaller flies.

Weaves

Attachments

• Midge Beadhead2.jpg
    Midge Beadhead2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 11
Use 2mm beads on size 20

The bead is too large. I don't think it's a case of your hook set being too slow. I've always been of the opinion that if a fish eats your fly, it eats your fly and the timing of your hook set doesn't really have a lot to do with it. Sometimes you just don't get a solid hook up and the fish gets off.

Yep, the bead is a little largish...you'd get better hookups with a smaller bead. and you could probably skip the herl on a zebra that size....I don't use herl on any of my zebra's and they catch fish...It's a matter of personal choice...

If I was a trout I'd eat it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I took a 2nd try at the Zebra Midge on a #20. I picked up some smaller beads last week. These beads are 5/64". I had a feeling the original ones were too large.

Can you guys take a look at this one and let me know any other things I could improve?

The one on the left was the orignial, the one on the right is the new one.

Thanks for your help guys.

Weaves

Attachments

• Zebra Midge Redo.jpg
    Zebra Midge Redo.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 4
Much better...I would run the taper back further toward the bend though...

The second one looks much better. I agree with Volksnurse on the body length. Personally I would skip the bead on a midge this size. I almost never use beads (Like A.K. Best said, I never saw a nymph with his head stuck in a brass ball) so take this advice with an appropriate grain of salt. I belive that a natural midge that size would be very easily swept along by the current, and any additional weight will make it appear unnatural. A turn of herl in place of the bead will provide a bit of contrast and lifelike movement without causing the fly to "swim" funny.

You're probably right Mike, I tie them with beads more out of habit than practicality. This was the first pattern I tied....

FrequentTyer wrote:
The second one looks much better. I agree with Volksnurse on the body length. Personally I would skip the bead on a midge this size. I almost never use beads (Like A.K. Best said, I never saw a nymph with his head stuck in a brass ball) so take this advice with an appropriate grain of salt. I belive that a natural midge that size would be very easily swept along by the current, and any additional weight will make it appear unnatural. A turn of herl in place of the bead will provide a bit of contrast and lifelike movement without causing the fly to "swim" funny.

I use 1/16" beads on my size 20 and smaller zebra midges. They are not as easy to find as the larger beads but they are available if you look around a little.

Agree - the original fly had a bead that was too large and this likely "closed the gap" on the hook and caused the missed fish. The second fly looks better and has a bead more in proportion to the hook size.

Just speaking for myself, when it comes to very small midge flies - say about #22 and certainly smaller - I prefer not to use a bead. They're just too much trouble at that size. As an alternative to get that tapered body shape, you can just build up a thread head and give it a good coat or two of head cement or a tiny drop of epoxy - much easier and works/looks just as good.

Back