Been Tying Again

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

So after a LONG break from tying (for good reasons, not bad) I finally got the basement cleared out, finished a few projects, got the tying table re-organized and sat down to tie some the other night.

I would say not bad for not having tied for over a year!

I will be tying up more partridge/yellows and partridge/orange now that the sulphurs are here. It's not traditional, but I added a tail to the one p/o. And if you have read any of my posts here, you know that my all time favorite fly to tie AND fish is the GRHESH.

Feedback is welcomed.

Cheers,

Steve

Attachments

• Part_Orange.JPG
    Part_Orange.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 11
  • part_orange_tail.JPG
    part_orange_tail.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 2
  • part_yellow.JPG
    part_yellow.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 4
  • h_e_soft_hack.JPG
    h_e_soft_hack.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 5
They really look nice. I've been tying for a little over a year so FWIW, the hackle in the last two might be too long.

I just started tying soft hackle flies and about a month ago and I searched this forum and the web for hackle size for soft hackle flies and did not come up with anything. Maybe someone can offer a more experienced opinion.

STONEMAN wrote:
Nice ribs. Wire under what material?

I used 6x tippit and coat with sally Hanson.

afishinado wrote:
They are about right. I like to keep SH's fairly sparse with the hackle.

From my experience, the hares ears fish better with a little more hackle. The partridge with floss I try to tie with a little less.

That is some nice tying there. I don't often put a bead on a soft hackle. But if I do I like to put the hackle in front of the bead. Really makes the hackle stand up.

GenCon

I agree about the bead. Soft hackles best imitate a bug rising in the water column , a large bead just hampers that whole effect. They work well with most lengths of hackle, up to a point, the difference in your ties are a few mm's and the fish don't care. Fish can't resist a soft hackle presented right.

Very nice flies. I am starting to fish soft hackles and getting into some nice fish.

Don't forget you can dead drift soft hackles like nymphs, hence the bead. I fish the bead heads on the swing and have plenty of success that way as well.

Back