been dying again

sandfly

sandfly

needed certain colors of (faux) fun fur for tying and no one has custom colors, so i found a way to get some color. These are the new colors I came up with. There's a few more I am working on too..

Attachments

• fun fur minnows 002.jpg
    fun fur minnows 002.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 39
  • fun fur minnows 003.jpg
    fun fur minnows 003.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 7
  • fun fur minnows 005.jpg
    fun fur minnows 005.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 4
  • fun fur minnows 006.jpg
    fun fur minnows 006.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 6
  • fun fur minnows 007.jpg
    fun fur minnows 007.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 6
Yeah looks good. Im gonna start syeing my own tails with Veniards this winter. It a nice way to save $ as well get to use some not so stock colors.

i heard kool-aid works well for dying, have u ever heard that?

Yeah you can use kool aid it gives it a paler color though. Rit die works well.

Kool aid does not come out paler...its a strong dye on natural fibers. craft fur is a polyester and will not take regular dyes, so i had to experiment to get these to work its a chemical dye. rit does some but is very washed out looking when done.

so,are you saying"just drink the kool aid"?

pete41 wrote:
so,are you saying"just drink the kool aid"?

Unless you're unnatural, which explains Sandy.

You can also use onion skins to dye materials. That process is very "old skool" and limited to darker natural colors (no oranges, chartrueses, or blues) but the dyed skins/furs really become colorfast. I believe Ray Bergman had some type of recipe listed in his book "Trout".

For natural (feathers, fur, etc.) kool aid works great

All this talk about "dying" and "drinking the kool-Aid" has me depressed: :-(

then drink the kool aid with Vodka sure to put a smile on your face, oh and watch how your innards turn color...LOL....

afishinado wrote:
All this talk about "dying" and "drinking the kool-Aid" has me depressed: :-(

I'm a happy guy, I'll cheer you up!

jjsjigs wrote:
You can also use onion skins to dye materials. That process is very "old skool" and limited to darker natural colors (no oranges, chartrueses, or blues) but the dyed skins/furs really become colorfast. I believe Ray Bergman had some type of recipe listed in his book "Trout".

That is just .. . . . you know, it's the 21st century.

Hey, sometimes you have onions in your pantry... sometimes you have RIT/kool aid. I had onions. When in Rome?

Y'know, I defend alot of weird and archaic stuff.

However, you're on your own.

Rit die does not come out faded. You have to heat it the longer you leave the material in the darker it will become.

Letaras,
rit dye will not dye craft fur right. you can not heat it for one it will crinkle up and it comes out faded. rit is good for natural material but dyes faded on synthetics.

Sandfly good to know I have never tried it on the craft fur. I have dyed other things with it and had no trouble with it. I have like 5 garbage bags full of natural fur that I have dyed more that a lifetime worth of dubbing. Thanks for the info.

If you're willing to share the dye you used on the craft fur, I'd much appreciate it. I picked up a bunch of it on Friday but they only had white, brown, and black. I wanted Olive so I decided to try RIT on the white fur. It turned out absolutely awful. I even let it soak for 1.5 hours. Barely changed color at all.

Questions about DYEING:

I've dyed honey bug yarn with Rit and it came out good, but I had two problems:

1) The yarn causes the hooks to rust. Is there a solution? Is it just a matter of rinsing it more thoroughly? I thought I rinsed it quite a bit.

2) The color looks great for awhile, but begins to fade pretty quickly after the flies are used and sit in the fly box for a little while. Is that just the nature of cotton? Or is there a dye that will hold its color better with cotton than Rit?

3) I heard Rit Neon Green has been discontinued. Is there a good replacement from another company?

Back