Bedford Springs area

stal42

stal42

Hi all,

The wife has booked a 3 day weekend at the Bedford Springs resort over labor day weekend. Was looking for any intel on nearby fishing opportunities while we are there. The website of the resort said something about a wild trout stream running through the property but I don't want to take their word for it. I'm willing to drive a little bit if I need to...

Thanks in advance for any info.

h

There's supposed to be a wild brown trout stream that runs through the Bedford Springs property. I haven't fished it myself.

You might want to look at Cove Creek (south of Bedford). That too is a limestone spring creek. I've never fished it, but have heard that the locals (Amish/Mennonite) close the stream to fishing on Sundays.

You are not too far from Yellow Creek. There is a Delayed Harvest Fly Fishing Only project on the stream. I fished the gorge two weeks ago at Lloysburg and had a few on a very sunny, very hot (temperature wise) afternoon. I'm sure you'd do better in the am or late pm, especially if on an overcast day.

Hope this helps.

I'd play the golf course.... It's supposedly a good one.

If you like warm water species, you can fish the Raystown Branch of the Juniata for smallmouth. As a kid, I used to go to the following location and hammer smallmouth on hellgrammites all day long.

40.196900, -78.257543

Right across from the hotel entrance you can catch wild brown in a stream small enough to leap across. And you have nice smallmouth possibilities on nearby Frankstown or Raystown branch of the Juniata. In fact, there are numerous wild brook and brown trout streams in the area, a couple having already been mentioned.

Shobers Run is the stream running through the golf course at the resort. It's a limestone stream with wild browns.

Years ago I fished up through the golf course section, which was open to the public at that time. The stream was a total wreck physically in that section then, because they mowed the grass close right up to the stream, which is devastating to streams.

I read that the new owners of the resort made an extensive and expensive effort to improve the stream. Looking at satellite images on AcmeMapper, it appears that they have riparian buffers along the stream now, which was not the case back in the day.

I think that stretch is now open only to guests of the resort, so I'd check that out since you'll be there.

It would be interesting to see how they are trying to manage the landscape for the dual purposes of having a golf course, and having a good trout stream.

If they are successful at this, maybe it could be a model for other golf courses with streams flowing through them. That is a common situation, and in most cases, the streams suffer badly. It doesn't have to be that way.

The two land uses are compatible, IF the golf course designers and managers make a deliberate effort to take care of the streams.

I fished there following a work meeting at the resort, which is wonderful. You will enjoy the weekend. I was still very much a novice then and took the skunk. But there is some nice water with easy walking paths and access within sight of the hotel. I saw several nice fish including a gigantic Palamino. There are fish on hand. I only fished an hour or so.

+1 on golfing, it is a very nice course.

I fished the delayed harvest area of Yellow Creek while staying at BS last year and really enjoyed it. There is a designated parking area for fly fisherman and at the the spot is a sign that highlights all the holes and popular fishing areas along the stream. It is very accessible as there is a path going right along the stream but parts of it are tough wading with slippery rocks. Lots of fish there. Was told by locals there are plenty of holdovers there, I was just happy to be fishing a new stream.

If you fish Shobers Run on the resort (golf course) property, and could take some pictures and post them, that would be great.

I'm curious to see how the stream restoration work turned out.

Ditto with troutbert. I stayed ther a few years ago and fished Shobers one morning while my wife was at the spa. It was marginal at best.

Here's a little bit of info on the stream restoration.

http://landstudies.com/projects/projects_sheet.asp?PID=12

Apparently it was done in 2013. So just about 2 years ago.

I fished Cove about 3 years ago,while I waiting for my boat trailer to be repaired on my way back from a SM bass trip to Lake Erie in May.It's a nice little stream and caught a good amount of trout..all stockies.

Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely be hitting Shober's on property and will do my best to remember to take some pictures while there. I'm also going to check out the Delayed Harvest area of Yellow Creek mentioned above.

If there's anything else not mentioned yet that I should know about, please feel free to add to this!

Thanks!

Heath

Didn't end up fishing Shobers Run, as it was all but dried up--was told that I couldn't fish it on the golf course so I really didn't waste my time other than a quick look walking by to determine that it was crazy low.

I did fish the fly fishing only section of Yellow Creek a few times and found good water and plenty of fish each time. Ended up catching double digits each day and hit the trifecta--brookies, browns, and rainbows all ranging from smaller than palm sized to about 18 inches Some really enjoyable fishing on this creek--I'll definitely be back.

Thanks for all the information in this thread--it really came in handy.

Back