Become a better angler and human

I agree. My resolution is to volunteer for Project Healing Waters.

Nice. I learned to fish on the hallowed grounds of the mighty Wissahickon Creek in Philly, so I am going through the interview and training process to become a volunteer crew leader for the Friends of the Wissahickon in 2023. For some reason the local TU is only concerned with their pet stretch of the Pennypack, so I figured I might be able to do something for Fairmount Park and the crick.

The thought started a few years ago when I encountered a teacher from a school in the City taking kids in the Park midday for "woods school." I ended up tying nots and freeing snags for a group of kids before I ran into the teacher, who was a fly fisherman too. I ended up collecting a mess of fishing equipment from my buddies and donating to the school. They even made me come in and get an "award" that the kids made. The experience sticks with me to this day.

Last edited:
I agree. My resolution is to volunteer for Project Healing Waters.
I've been doing it few a couple years now and I can promise you that you will come away from it feeling very blessed and fortunate.....you will be in the company of real heroes and it is a very humbling experience!

Nice. I learned to fish on the hallowed grounds of the mighty Wissahickon Creek in Philly, so I am going through the interview and training process to become a volunteer crew leader for the Friends of the Wissahickon in 2023. For some reason the local TU is only concerned with their pet stretch of the Pennypack, so I figured I might be able to do something for Fairmount Park and the crick.

The thought started a few years ago when I encountered a teacher from a school in the City taking kids in the Park midday for "woods school." I ended up tying nots and freeing snags for a group of kids before I ran into the teacher, who was a fly fisherman too. I ended up collecting a mess of fishing equipment from my buddies and donating to the school. They even made me come in and get an "award" that the kids made. The experience sticks with me to this day.
Regarding your second paragraph, welcome to what I found for me to be one of the “icing on the cake” activities of an Area Fisheries Manager. One of the best was helping teach first time adult and child anglers how to fish along Philly’s tidal Schuylkill, primarily for channel cats, the species of my childhood fishing roots, during an event organized by the PFBC.

Since retirement I have annually helped with a Federation of Sportsmen field day running the instream and streamside instructional station on identification and ecology of aquatic macroinvertebrates. Participants sure enjoy the variety of macros that they collect while wading about.

Last edited:
I've been doing it few a couple years now and I can promise you that you will come away from it feeling very blessed and fortunate.....you will be in the company of real heroes and it is a very humbling experience!
I willbe working with a branch in South Jersey. I'd better brush up on my bass and pan fish flies!

Regarding your second paragraph, welcome to what I found for me to be one of the “icing on the cake” activities of an Area Fisheries Manager. One of the best was helping teach first time adult and child anglers how to fish along Philly’s tidal Schuylkill, primarily for channel cats, the species of my childhood fishing roots, during an event organized by the PFBC.

Since retirement I have annually helped with a Federation of Sportsmen field day running the instream and streamside instructional station on identification and ecology of aquatic macroinvertebrates. Participants sure enjoy the variety of macros that they collect while wading about.
Very cool, Mike! Thanks for that perspective. I don't have the science background, but I am an educator by profession, so I am looking forward to using some of those skills when I retire, as well! I have a ways to go to retirement, but this is a first step, I guess. I have done several service immersions trips and days of service with college students. A rewarding experience for sure.

Volunteered to take wounded warriors down the river fishing for 3 years now. Each time, I'm either on a wait list cuz they don't have an angler or I have a trip already booked. Hopefully get one this year. I'd really enjoy doing that.

Back