Beaverkill this weekend?

KeviR

KeviR

I was thinking about camping and fishing the Beaverkill (near Cook's Falls) this weekend, Fri-Sun. The current forecast calls for about 2" of rain on Thursday. What are the conditions likely to be for fishing? i.e., will it be blown out?/ how long? Should I pull the plug?

Based on this season’s rain history, I wouldn’t pull the plug at the very forecast of rain, but a true 2 inch soaking on Thursday will almost certainly take that river out of commission for the weekend. But if it misses a little or loses some steam, the corresponding 0.5” rainfall it might actually see will make for some great fishing. I’d be watching gauges, forecasts and be ready to make alternative plans (looks like west of the cats might see less rain)

It's hard to say until you see what falls and where it falls. If it rains and it's steady, you'll get that gradual flow increase as the water makes its way into the system. Might take more than 24 hours for it to peak it Cooks falls. If it rains hard and dumps a lot of water quickly, you might see that gauge peak in well under 12 hours. This morning the flow is 164 CFS which isn't a whole lot so they could use the water. If you don't mind going up a little higher, the willowemoc usually crests and clears a lot quicker than the bigger waters.

The other thing up there that's unpredictable is which drainage will it hit. It's poured in the west drainage and been completely dry over on the east side or vice versa.

You should have the safety net of the tailwaters in case it really does rain hard. Stilesville is very low and easily waded at this flow. The feeders in the top of each tailwater should clear by Saturday if they get a good soaker. Make sure you have some streamers just in case

I fished the lower Beaverkill several days last week. Fish were active and started rising late afternoon. The water was low and very clear and a long leader is required. There were isolated Isos, small olives and Cahills along with tan or a darker brown caddis. However I did best with a size 18 Hebe. I fished mid week and the rivers were not crowded on both the Beaverkill and the Mid/Lower East. Fishing was very decent.

Still forecasting rain but the predicted totals dropped. With that said, calling for some locally heavy amounts possible. That might be a 180 in your plans depending where it falls. A buddy was just up there fishing from middle of lower east up to cooks falls. They cleaned up on hebe and olives. Let us know how it goes. Might get a good flush of leaves from the rain which will suck.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to pull the plug. Sticking to home water in the Poconos. Small streams should be in good shape.
The forecast is still calling for 2" in Roscoe. The storm is so widespread and long lasting that the chances of getting a pass (i.e. much lower total) seems unlikely. You're right about the leaves.
By the way, if anybody else ends up there this weekend, please let us know what you found.

Last edited:
Willowemoc in Livingston Manor went from 49 CFS to 1,000 CFS 😳. Looks like a brunt of the rain fell on the east side of the Catskills but I'd still have to say probably toast until Saturday afternoon at best

And the gauge at Cooks Falls went from 170 to 2500. E Branch is way up too. If I was there I wouldn't be on the east side. The Lehigh precip gauge at the dam only shows about 0.5" there. The river barely budged.

Should be some good floats possible this coming weekend/week. Been awhile

High but running clean up there.

Back