Beaver Kill Ny

zephyr

zephyr

Hey guys, So i am making a trip up to NY this weekend to fly fish the Beaver Kill. I have been up there before. However, it was in the Summer in August. Since I have never been up there in the early Spring. Does anyone have any suggestion or tips on fly patterns to use this time of the year. Thanks in advance!

I'd say the hatches will just be starting about now. Look for Quill Gordons and Hendricksons as well as Blue Quills and small tan caddis.
Be careful wading flows will be high.

Here is the daily fishing report from Catskill Flies. Slow start, the B-kill flow is okay, but the water temp is still very cold. Things may start to happen this weekend. Keep checking this daily report for hatches and conditions. Good luck.

Hey Thanks for the information. I will keep an eye on the report!

FWIW, the river will probably look massive compared to the late summer flows you've seen. Careful wading because it's a formidable river with flows above 500cfs

In all honesty, if it is possible I'd skip the Beaverkill. In cooks falls i've seen it at 120-190, which is prime wading. Even then when i tried to wade across a riffle, lost my footing a couple times. Its at 685 as of right now, it should drop down a bunch more by the weekend, and the water will get a little warmer. IF you do fish it, take a ride up to the covered bridge. Its a historic place with a huge hole underneath. Pretty neat. Down in cooks falls right off 17 is good water too. Last year to this day actually i had 4 or 5 wild bows and a 21 inch brown down there. All on nymphs. Honestly, the WB and EB are at prime wading levels right now. I'd hit the upper EB, or any of the accesses on the WB. Goodluck, let us know how it goes!

Kev,
I've crossed the head of Carins Pool around 800 cfs and fished it as high as 1400 cfs. Just wade smart. The beaverkill holds some really nice fish, great hatches and has lots of access. The gradient makes it a nymph fishers dream. Don't skip it....it's an awesome river. Below is the morning report from Dennis. Stop at Catskill Flies in Roscoe. He can point you in the right direction and is very familiar Roth the river. Willowemoc and Neversink are two othe good ones right in the area. My only concern is temps but the should bounce back in the next couple of days.

Fishing Condiions-All rivers are clear and fishable.  Lots of fishermen are on the waters, especially over the weekends.  The Beaverkill and Willowemoc-   Both rivers are clear and in good shape.  Wading is possible on both rivers.  Yesterday mornings water temp was 41 and rose to 45 in the afternoon.   Gauge height is 3.15 this morning and was 3.28 yesterday,  Flow was 710 at noon yesterday while the norm is 710.  We are  at normal for today's date.  Hatches have been Blue Quills, Caddis and a few stoneflies.  Afternoons are more productive than mornings.

Thanks for all the information guys!. As i do more research and input from here it looks as if the BK is going to be some difficult fishing since the water temp is still below average for optimum trout fishing. However, the flow of the river has gone down over the past couple of days and is expected to continue to drop as there is no rain in the forecast. Additionally the river is clear and getting better every day. I am going to have to make a game time decision Friday Night. If i do not go to the BK, I am going to hit up spring creek or the wild section of slate run. Thanks Again everyone! I will keep you posted on where i go and the aftermath, lol.

After a fun filled weekend at the Beaverkill. I had some great success. Even though the water temp was still cold and fish were a little sluggish on Saturday. I managed to reel in a fantastic 18inch wild bow bow along with two browns 1 wild and one stockie. However my camera skills are lacking i was just happy enough to catch this bow. As the sun starting to set a huge hatch begin. However, where i was fishing at i didn't see one fish taking anything off the top. A buddy of my was fishing close to me and manage to get 2 nice browns on nymphs. After camping at the Beaver Del Campsite. Sunday was a much better day for fishing than on Saturday. Temps were in the mid to high 70's and partly cloudy. MY day started of strong with two wild browns and 2 stockies in the morning hours. However, there was a lull or just not presenting my nymphs just how the fish wanted. But no fish were caught for a few hours. Until around 6pm at night did the activity start back up. We relocated to a different area to dry fly than Saturday Night and the results were impressive. I landed 6 fish on dry flies while matching the hatch of Blue Quills and my buddy who had not caught a fish all day. Ended up landing 1 on a nymph and 9 on a dry Blue Quill. This was the best action i have ever had on the Beaverkill with dry flies. Really a bunch of fun. Im already planning my next trip to Slate Run. Here are some pics of the weekend. Tight Lines!

Opps Forgot to add Pics

Attachments

• 20150502_130228 (150x84).jpg
    20150502_130228 (150x84).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20150503_153654 (150x84).jpg
    20150503_153654 (150x84).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150503_163155_Richtone(HDR) (84x150).jpg
    20150503_163155_Richtone(HDR) (84x150).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 5
  • 20150503_183602_Richtone(HDR) (150x84).jpg
    20150503_183602_Richtone(HDR) (150x84).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150503_190854 (150x84).jpg
    20150503_190854 (150x84).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 5
nice report, glad to see you found some good fish! Its good to hear you got some on dry flies, i love when that all comes together

I was about 15 miles below you on Saturday. First time out and was pretty excited. Caught good brown (17") on 4th cast. Got a decent bow and two smaller fish in the 12"-13" range. Sun popped out, wind picked up and that was it. Floated for 13 miles and saw 4 rises, 1 black stone, 1 paralep and one Hendrickson. About 5-15 miles below me....it was full on. As I drove home, looked over the bank and it looked like it was raining (100's of rising fish). The Beaverkill is a fun river when it all falls into place. I should have gone there myself. LOL.

Nice, were you fishing the east branch of the Delaware than?

Did you take a water temperature at all?

Chaz, I did. The temp on Saturday was between 47 and 48 depending on where i was. Sunday The water temp was right around 50 everywhere i went. With the water temp a little bit warmer on Sunday, is why i believe the fish were a little more active.

Absolutely. 49 at 9am and 56 when I was near end of float.

Back