Bean no longer sells simms waders?

D

dryflyguy

Just received the new LL Bean catalog. And the only waders I saw in it were their own brand. They had been selling simms for at least the last couple years now.
Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/search?init=1&freeText=waders&cache=1

They are still listed there.

Did not see boots in the catalog either. Wonder if they will still offer a warranty if they stop selling simms, the main reason I purchased from them.

beerbyrnes wrote:
Did not see boots in the catalog either. Wonder if they will still offer a warranty if they stop selling simms, the main reason I purchased from them.

good question
I know that there are quite a few people on this site who swear by simms waders. And I would consider trying them again myself - but only from bean and their excellent warranty. Simms customer service is very tough IMO

Looks like they still sell Simms on their website but probably leave it from the catalog to focus on their product. I'm sure they will honor the warranty if you have something you've purchased there in the past even if they stop carrying it.

Not sure but Bean is most likely taken on the model of Orvis when it comes to selling it's own stuff. Kind of like having a Chevy Dealer and selling Fords in the same showroom.

dryflyguy wrote:
beerbyrnes wrote:

good question
I know that there are quite a few people on this site who swear by simms waders. And I would consider trying them again myself - but only from bean and their excellent warranty. Simms customer service is very tough IMO

Can you comment on your experience with Simms customer service that characterizes it as tough? I've nothing but exceptional results from Simms with their customer service not only on waders but other items as well. Simply interested in your experience.

Thanks,
Mike.

My experience with their customer service was 10 years ago now.
But I bought a pair of their guide weights - which was the top of line waders that they sold then. And had to send them back twice for leak repairs during the second year of use. And had to pay $75 each time for it - after an original purchase price of $425. Not a very good deal IMO.
Especially, when most of the other wader brands now just replace them - no questions asked.

Simms replaced a lemon pair of waders for me last year, no questions asked.

You have one year with Simms, after that you'll have troubles. I've heard good things about Bailey's customer service. Still hard to bet Bean. Had a pair of their waders and hated the fit. Took them back and got simms.

bean waders...

Attachments

• 56191_538949394616_68500872_31616495_5048814_o.jpg
    56191_538949394616_68500872_31616495_5048814_o.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 4
Room to fart without blowing out the seams. :lol:

No idea what plans da Bean has for carrying Simms gear in the future. You can always count on at least getting your money back. Bean's guarantee is the foundation that the company is built on, and they're doing quite well.

jayL wrote:
Simms replaced a lemon pair of waders for me last year, no questions asked.

Just curious jay - how long did you have these waders, and which ones were they?

Everyone else that has posted on this subject before, has had - like me - their waders repaired.
The big issue was whether or not you would be charged for it - at their discretion

I had them for less than a few months. They were the freestone zip fronts. I upgraded to g3 converts when I replaced them.

jayL wrote:
I had them for less than a few months. They were the freestone zip fronts. I upgraded to g3 converts when I replaced them.

I believe the freestones are their low end waders that are imported And maybe that's why they didn't try to repair them. They must only do that to what's manufactured in bozeman I guess

Yeah most likely, they can repair pretty much any of the waders they make there.

I had a pair of Simms Headwater waders, and the fit was awful.
My shoe size is 12/13, and that 's what I ordered, but it took quite an effort to get my feet past the ankle portion of the waders. I decided to take a chance with the Bean Rapid River waders. They make the Headwaters look cheap and poorly designed in comparison. I've been using the Rapid Rivers quite a bit for months, and haven't had a single problem. The fit is like a glove, and they are much more comfortable the that Simms. Just had to add my two cents.....

BTW: Not all Bean waders are good. The cheapies fit terribly, so my comments apply only to the Rapid River waders.

Back