Bead Color

NewSal

NewSal

Whats everyones go-to bead color?
Anyone fish colored beads(chartreuse, orange, pink, etc..) on a regular basis enough to notice any increase/decrease in catch ratio vs. "regular" colors (copper,gold,silver,black)?

My primary colors are black/unfinished, I seem to do better with the more subtle look of them usually than copper/gold/silver. Dirty water I'll usually throw the brighter colors, and this year I've tied flies with chartreuse and orange beads, I've recently done well with the chartreuse beads on walts worm patterns. Its very hard to tell if black or any other color would have worked just as well though, I really haven't spent much time fishing one color, then immediately after throwing a different color to really test out the differences.

So whats your bead philosophy?

My go to color is gold, black nickel, copper, then silver. But I try to keep the color so it looks good on the fly.

I like copper and black.
Then for stockies I do use the bright color ones if I find them on sale. For brook trout, Red is always a good bet.

I always though a stocked trout killer would be a small white flashy wooly bugger 3xl hook #10 or #12 with pink bead and some with red bead.

Back