beacon lodge rd/103

nymphingmaniac

nymphingmaniac

I was getting directions to the shawmut boat ramp from Mt union and google maps indicate and incident the won't allow me to go beacon lodge rd/103 to get there. It takes me through the forrest. Any information? Is it closed? Is this stretch worth floating for SMB?

I've had good smallmouth fishing both above and below Mount Union, so yes the river is worth fishing in that area.

I don't know anything about the possible road closure.

The road collapsed there months ago.. It still isn't fixed. Heavy rain caused it to wash away.

Definitely worth fishing for smallmouth.

thanks jifigz. With access to the shawmut boat ramp closed, its a long float to Newtown from Mt union.

thanks jifigz. With access to the shawmut boat ramp closed, its a long float to Newtown from Mt union.
You can access Shawmut, to the best of my knowledge, you just might have to take a slight detour to get up the the Mt. Union launch. I am not sure which direction you have to approach the Shawmut launch from, but I would imagine coming from Mt.Union side you should be fine and that it would be closed on the Newton side. Since it washed away I have avoided it and just gone out around. My girlfriend and her family are lifelong Newton people and I can find out the details for you. Anyways, just a few weeks ago I drove from Mt. Union to the turn off to go up along West Licking Creek and 103 was fine. That is almost to Shawmut. I don't know. I find out exactly where the damage occurred for you..

Where do you live? If you want to fish that stretch a very short float could be from the one Mt. Union launch to the other.

Thanks. State college. That's a very short float- at least the two Mt union launches I'm aware of- the primitive and the riverside park. It's amazing that I can't seem to find any information about this closure on the internet, other than a short mention of the road being closed at the time of the flood. The story didn't indicate damage though. Even tried looking on PFBC site- I thought they might mention something. May be I can get info from PFBC SC office?
I'd appreciate info about where it is closed.

My girlfriend's father says 103 is back open. Nothing to fret about now.

Thanks for the assist. I'm looking forward to floating that soon.

Back