be prepared!

ryanh

ryanh

How many of you could qualify for this right now?

http://usscouts.org/usscouts/mb/mb136.asp

Another reason I'm against scouting...the last line..."Clean and cook another fish." Actually, I'm kidding, I'm not against scouting..I just have a problem with what our local group calls "scouting" . I'm sure providing food is the basis for the last part, although, how many of us are lucky enough to have a fly rod in a true survival setting...then again, thats not really a good question either since we all fly fish and are probably most likely going to get lost in the woods while fishing. Ow, my head hurts...think I'll go catch some fish before the kids get home.

I would not! I have never had to put on backing. I worked for the Boy Scouts professionally for 2 1/2 years.

Actually, " How many of you could qualify for this right now?" isn't all that far fetched, really!! Mainly, because even an old, used up, registered and licensed Curmudgeon like myself, CAN qualify for this section of Scouting!
Within our fly club, we have several members who actually teach this section of scouting to young scouts, in order for them to earn this particular badge. I became "one of the unlucky chosen", when a vote was taken and volunteers were asked for, and I'd left the room for the can. Somehow, I got "volunteered", by a few club members, of which, now reside on my "EX-friends", list. Make that, my "Don't drop your guard" list.

not all merit badges are about survival. Unless of course things like basket weaving and bugling are considered survival tools. They even have one for golf! :-D

I wish they had that when I was a scout. I probably wouldn't have taken basket weaving.

I am a registered FF and fishing merit badge counselor. Last year we processed five scouts throught the course. I rely on some dedicated volunteers from our TU chapter. Fred Bridge is one of them He comes around here sometimes. Anyway, I think the hardest part of it is all of it. You would be surprised how little you know about flyfishing until you have to teach that course by the book. There is a difference between knowing how to catch fish with flies and knowing how to flyfish...or rather to teach people how to flyfish.

anyway, the scouts likes it. It took two separate trips on the water to get their (two species, clean and cook one) ONe was during a float on the Potomac (bass) and the other was at a pond for gills. We killed and filleted the gills. Then cooked them a few evenings later. It took a total of about 40 hours of volunteer time (between the three of us) to teach the class.

So yeah, I could do it.

FarmerDave wrote:
not all merit badges are about survival. Unless of course things like basket weaving and bugling are considered survival tools. They even have one for golf! :-D

Actually very few involve survival skills. Maybe Compass, reading, swimming, and others I am sure. Scouting is surprisingly geared toward citizenship and civics more than camping. (IMO) The camping and outdoor activities keep the scouts interested while they HAVE to earn badges to make rank that are not related to the camping end of it.

Maurice,
You are absolutely right about camping to keep it interesting. I remember hating scouts because it wasn't always fun. But when the camping weekends came around, I couldn't wait. I did tough it out and got my eagle but it wasn't the easy.

I just remembered you're from Dallastown. That's where I got my eagle. Good old troop #43.

We are in Troop #47. 43 is a solid troop. My son is in the middle of his eagle. Only has to submit the final report and go through the interview process...but a Job, School, wrestling, and girls are fighting pretty hard. I have to keep after him.

My dad was the Scout Master so that helped keep me going. He did let my brother quit though. In hind sight, it's one of the best things I've ever done. I was surprised at how highly regarded it is to others that aren't. Tell your son to hang in there. He's way too close now. The hard part is behind him.

fly_flinger- good for you!

Eagle is an accomplishment.

My nephew is 16 and he has only his project to complete. It is becoming difficult since he is now 16 something and has turned his attention to other teenager stuff. He~ like you stated, not realizing how much of an accomplishment it is~ has been blowing it off for a year and would be a real shame if he got this close and did'nt finish. If you are or plan to go to college there are scholarships for Eagle scouts but sometimes you have to ask or seek them out. Me- my troop was a joke. Serious- I think there was beer and firecrackers at Heritage Reservation (summer camp)with those guys. Interesting, Eagle scouts that like the Dead. 89-95 was my time with the dead.

Thanks Acristickid. That scholarship might have come in handy 14 years ago. I'm now almost 32 but will keep that in mind if I hear anyone's son is an eagle scout and going to college.
Yeah, I've been listening to the Dead for about 22 years now. I think I was 8 or 9 when I first hear Uncle John's Band and have been hooked ever since. Like you, the 90's were when I was old enough to go see them. Too bad I didn't start going earlier. But If I did, I might not have finished that Eagle.

I got my eagle like the day before I turned 18. It was the kind of thing you always kept secret at school so you didn't get jacked about it. Well one year at Conestoga I ran into this kid who I played football with who was 2 years older than me,. He was a major MAJOR bad ***. He was an All American DE in College. If there were the same hazing laws back then that there are now he would STILL be locked up. Any how he saw me. Said "If this gets our I will KILL YOU."

We have been good friends ever since.

Scouting was probably the only thing from childhood that really had an affect on me.

Maurice,
This may help motivate a little.

During my Career working for the Navy, One of my jobs was to interview, hire and train people for Logistics positions. Usually we would look for individuals with prior service to decrease the learning curve.
Management wanted to get some College Grads into the mix so we interviewed candidates from La Salle, Penn., Drexel and Temple. After going through the initial screening process looking at types of degrees /GPAs etc., there wasn’t much to differentiate the candidates. Even after the interviews there was one thing that stood out and was the tie-breaker for who got hired.

The EAGLE SCOUTs!

It was worth the trouble!

Buffalo

Back