Bauer Reel Cork Care?

J

jmflyfisher

I have an older (25 years or so) Bauer fly reel that has a cork drag. I've taken care of the reel and kept it clean but I can't find any information specifically about how to maintain the cork. There isn't any information on their website and an internet search doesn't really help much. I did read that care may differ between Abel and Bauer, but any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

I'm not familiar with a Bauer reel. The cork drag reels I have are Tibors and they require the cork to be greased periodically using a graphite grease that they supply. Other than that the only upkeep is to rinse them with freshwater and back the drag completely off once they dry.

I'm not familiar with a Bauer reel. The cork drag reels I have are Tibors and they require the cork to be greased periodically using a graphite grease that they supply. Other than that the only upkeep is to rinse them with freshwater and back the drag completely off once they dry.
Thanks for the response.... I looked on Bauer's website and there isn't any information about cork care, and a general internet search has conflicting info.... I read about using neatsfoot oil, as well as a graphite grease on the cork. I can't think the reels (or the cork) is that different. Thanks again.

I'm glad to help if I can.

I've heard of different lubrication products per manufacturer. I know that the original Tibor reels were made with cork from a Model T Ford clutch. If you could find what cork Bauer uses, it might help you figure out what lube to use on that cork.

I looked up Bauer's number (888-484-4165) I'd call them and get the maintenance info straight from the reel maker.

I periodically put a couple drops of Neatsfoot Oil on my Abel reel’s cork drags. That’s what Abel recommends and it has kept a cork on a couple of my older Abel Big Game reels as good as new for more than 20 years.

Call Bauer. They will sent you the oil to use for the cork.

Back