Bauer fly reels

S

Sylvaneous

I got a little thing on facebook from Bauer fly reels. I've never owned one and I don't know anyone who does, but I was impressed with them 25 years ago when I first saw one. Even though the star drag was also the nut that held the spool on and made adjustment on the water difficult, they looked and supposedly worked great. I never used one.

But I stepped off the carousel of newer/better equipment some years ago. I feel no compulsion to buy something just because it's different from what I have. Being so woke, it occured to me how ridiculous it is to assume billet aluminum machined to some tight tolerance and powerful drags are necessary to bring to hand a fish that weighs not 2 pounds and it caught at a distance of maybe 35 feet. And even then, many of my fish, I just hand-line in.
As beautiful and functional as all those reels are, and I bought a few of them, I think differently now.

It just struck me as funny, as it hadn't before. Really good line makes a huge difference. A great rod that works with you is a functional pleasure. As my dad said, "the reel just holds the line". I did not understand or fully appreciate that. That was many hours on the water ago. I've fished for a generation with spinning and baitcasting reels ranging from $20 to $150 and only ever had one failure: a bail spring on a spinning reel. No problem with dependability with vastly more complex reels. While I'm not anticipating getting a cheap Martin jobbie from a Big Box, I don't know of too many smallmouth or trout I couldn't have caught just as well with one.

Being woke and getting meta-. At almost 50, I no longer feel any urge to gild the lily. But I do think the flyfishing world is a better place with Bauer reels in it.

Hi, I bought a Bauer Mckenze 3 wt reel about 16 years ago. I love the reel It's on my 3 wt rod. Cork drag , It works great , smooth drag start up, If you try one you wont go wrong, there great reels for the price. Mine was built in the U.S.A.

I bought a Bauer McKenzie for my 5wt a few years ago, and it is my favorite reel. The drag is smooth with no backlash, and the "star knob" to adjust drag is the most user friendly drag I've ever used.

Back