Bass

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

I am looking at getting into flyfishing for bass. I fly fish for trout, but I don't know what flies to get for bass, I picked out some poppers, but I have no idea what wets to get. If you can tell me any kits that are really good for the price or just flies in general it would be appreciated. I wasn't going to tie my own bass flies but I've started to consider it.

Clousers and crayfish.

Large grasshoppers would also work well, but be prepared to have them destroyed.

Big wooly buggers. Olive, black, brown, maybe white, sizes 2- 6.

Also pretty much any other streamer will work. EP minnows, bucktails, clousers, deceivers, Matukas, rabbit strip streamers like the zonker or the double bunny, muddler minnows and their variations (I particularly like a cone head zuddler).

Flymaster,
All of your trout streamers and large nymphs can be used for bass fishing.

Generally, bass fishing involves flies that are at least an inch long and I usually use nymphs that start at 2 inches. Small nymphs will catch bass, the problem is they will be inhaled by the swarms of chubs and sunfish and this will become frustrating and time consuming (sunfish, swallow hooks). I use large streamers for bass, mostly in the 3-5" range. Take a look at bass lures in a store sometime and you'll see how big they are (at least, they look big to a trout FFer).
If you're looking for a kit or to buy some patterns, I'd start with:

1. Poppers (any color, but yellow is always good)
2. Clouser Minnows (black, and green over white are good)
3. Some big nymphs with rubber legs

Ok, thanks for all the help. Can't wait to get on the Susquehanna!

Here's a page from Orvis showing bass and panfish flies just to give you an idea of what they look like:

Shortened Link

Using the menu you can select bass flies only.

What part of the Susky do you fish ? I fish the North Branch but not usually until July. The white flies will be out mid to late July and possibly early August. This is not a time to miss, some of the biggest bass can be caught during this time.

I like using top water poppers. You can pop them fast enough to keep the sunnies (except for the largest) from hitting.

Olive wooly buggers and tan grand hoppers. Or a grand hopper with a bugger dropper.

Back