Bass Muskie Streamers

djmyers

djmyers

Coming up with some new patterns for bass and musky that I am getting anxious to fish.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Bass-Muskie Streamer3_small.jpg
    Bass-Muskie Streamer3_small.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Bass-Muskie Streamer4_small.jpg
    Bass-Muskie Streamer4_small.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Bass-Muskie Streamer5_small.jpg
    Bass-Muskie Streamer5_small.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 5
Dean they look good, have you casted them yet??

That was exactly what went through my head, Sandfly. They look great...my only concern would be too much water retention with all that hair making them difficult to cast.
That is always tough to gauge from a pic...so you will have to answer that dj... but, as always, your flies look terrific.

I am hoping to know more this weekend. The one thing that can be a little deceiving in the pics is that the bright colored icelandic sheep hair looks thicker than it actually is. I will try and update you on how they worked.

Now, if they work, what to name them. :) I wish I was more creative with words.

My bro inlaw tyed some with sheep hair. He didnt like it. I never really messed with it too much. I have found the thinner more fine hair does tangle around the hook bend some tiimes. Thats why I like to use the hallow hairs at the base of the bucktail on my 1st bunch of hairs for the tailing. I flare them like im spinning deer hair. It acts as support for the hair up being tyed in front of it.

You can tye the same flys with bucktail and and not have to worry about water retenetion to much. What hooks ya tying them on?

I have been using gamakatsu b10s

I got them wet today and they did great casting and had nice action. The water was crystal clear so I could see its action. I didn't catch anything or even have any chace. Water was 43 degrees.

Paco when you are fishing for them I heard you say you burn them through all the time. Do you even fish them that way when the water is this cold? I had a hard time getting them down much with the speed of the water. Also I was fishing with floating line. I didn't get sinking line on a spare spool yet. Most of the water was three to five feet deep. I wish I knew how to fish for them better.

I do like a faster retrieve & it probably cost me some fish. But these arnt trout they will move to a streamer. Will they chase a a fly down from 15 ft probably not. Your not gonna have to pull it right over his nose for him to eat. Everyone that fishes these things has a differnernt style. Maybe some of the other musky chasers can chime in.

Heres the last two flys I have tyied for these things.

A Double beauford a 5\0 and 6\0 34007
image-1.jpg

A triple Hangtime- 2 c70sd 4\0 and a mustad 34007 5\0
image-2.jpg

Did I mention it glows like hell.
0226121950.jpg

Very cool flies.

What type of line do you use?

A full sink and a intermediate with a sink tip looped to the end just to boost up line weight so my echo will cast it.

For this time of year do you change the fly size to match the hatch as compared to the fall?

I fish the same stuff I know a couple other board members fish the big stuff all time too. My thinking is big fly big fish. I had a couple of hammer handles hit a 12 inch fly last week so I dont think it matters. Not everyone fishes flys that size anytime of year.

I am going to fish for bass and pike for the first time this year. After 20 years of trout i think ots long overdue. Anyway care to share some recipes? All great looking flies!

Go on youtube and look up Brad Bohen "hangtime" or Nick Granato's "Ghetto tramp". Both of those guys know predator flys.

Here is a 2 part video of brad tying the hangtime
http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2012/02/08/hangtime-optic-minnow-by-brad-bohen/

and a tutorial of nick's ghetto tramp
http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2011/04/12/ghetto-tramp-by-nick-granato/

Heres what my musky box looks like now. Big guys on the right little guys on the left.

DSC_0004.jpg

Thanks for the video links Ramcatt.

The recipe for these are:

bead chain body with Marabou and arctic fox tied onto the chain.

Hook: Gamakatsu B10S 2/0
Pearl flashabou
Icelandic Sheep (chart, orange)
Black Bucktail reverse tied
Black Krystal Flash on top
six saddle hackle feathers
3d eyes
Clear Cure goo head

Back