Bass leaders vs Trout leaders

T

td566

Hi everyone.
When purchasing a leader for warm water fishing, is there any advantage to buying a leader labeled “bass” vs “trout”? I mainly fish streamers, buggers, and smallish poppers/sneaky Pete’s.
I usually go with my 7.5’ glass rod with a 7.5’ leader on the smallish warm water streams I fish. Also, what x leader is a good choice?

BTW, I tried the wet wade option yesterday with my wading boots and a pair of light work pants and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Good tips from that wet wade earlier thread!

If I'm throwing big streamers or gurglers/foam bugs - which is pretty much all of my bass fishing - I just use 3-4 feet of level 20 lb and then 3-4 feet of level 15 lb. If I throw smaller streamers, I'll put on a foot of 10 lb. as a janky sort of tippet.

The fish don't seem to mind, and, if the bigger flies don't turn over or they twist, then I shorten the leader sections.

In regards to store bought leaders, for bass you want a stiffer, heavier leader to turn over the heavier bass flies. Usually they're shorter oal, stiffer in the butt section and don't taper down as far.

ive been using 2ft of 20lb maxima ultragreen, 1ft of 12lb maxima ultragreen and 1ft of 2x tippet. If the hook size permits i also put on a mustad fastach clip to make swapping out streamers and larger poppers easier. The only issue i had on my last outing was not being able to hookset on smallies that are less then 10in, they just grab what im throwing and i throw them across the creek.

Dear td566,

From the description of the rod and where you are fishing, I am guessing you are using a 5 weight. If that is the case, just buy 7.5-foot leaders ending with 8 or 10# test tippet. It will work down to size 6 flies. Bass specific leaders generally are more useful with heavier or bulkier flies. Trout leaders will be fine if they are the proper # test. Tippet size by X value varies widely by brand but generally 1X or 2X will work.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back