Bass Fly Rod Suggestions

raftman

raftman

Hey folks,

I finally got into fly fishing for bass this past summer and am looking at getting a rod exclusively to use for bass mostly on the Susquehanna. What is everyone's go to outfit? I have a 6 weight Winston that I've used and it's a blast, but I'm thinking about getting an 8 weight to sling larger streamers, etc. Thoughts between a 6 or 8 weight? Any particular rods you'd recommend?

Thanks!

I have a 9', 7wt and 9'6", 7wt.

I'd lean toward a 7 or 8wt if you'll mostly be on the river. As far as rods, if you ever throw a sinking line, you may want to see how a prospective rod handles it. My go to bass rod is actually a saltwater 6wt. I usually fish medium sized water, and rarely throw poppers.

I usually hit the river in a boat and take an 8 for streamers and a 7 for top water. If I'm wading I just take the seven, as I'm fishing shallower water and usually throwing lighter streamers. No doubt you can throw streamers on a seven, but an 8 makes a full day on the river a lot less work.

Perfect. Sounds like I'll aim for getting a 9' 8 wt as an all around rod.

Any particular rod suggestions? Looking not to break the bank as I just bought a kayak.

I noticed the clearwater outfits are on sale for 337, but wouldn't mind going cheaper if possible.

I'd recommend a used sage rpl or sp as something that might be close in price to a new Clearwater. More rod for your $.

When I started and didn't know any better, I was convinced to go with an 8 wt. I really don't have any problems doing my smallmouth fishing with a 7 wt line on a fast 6 wt. (LL Bean Gray Ghost)
I'd really recommend a saltwater 6 wt, well, basically a 7 wt or a fast 6 wt. with a fighting butt. For the river, a standard 9 foot rod is fine. I wouldn't mind a shorter rod for lake fishing for largemouth. I use a 9 wt line on a 9 ft. rod and the repeated flinging of big nasty bass flies gets tiring.

Throwing #2 streamers with lead eyes or cone heads in fairly shallow conditions doesn't seem to over-task a 7 wt line. And of course, a 6 wt is fine for anything just a bit lighter and smaller than this, like big trout streamers. You can catch nice smallmouth on flies just larger than normal trout streamers. When I want to go light, nice smallmouth will take my sz. 6 conehead marabou muddlers as well as my sz. 2 flies.

syl

Sent you a PM with a 9' #8 combo. Check it out.

raftman wrote:

Any particular rod suggestions? Looking not to break the bank as I just bought a kayak.

I noticed the clearwater outfits are on sale for 337, but wouldn't mind going cheaper if possible.

I noticed you are from the Lancaster area.

Not likely you will be fishing for bass on the Susky for at least a few months, I suggest you try to attend the Lancaster Fly Fishing Show in early March.

There, you will have an opportunity to see and get info on many different rod offerings as well as being able to cast a few.

Good luck.

afishinado wrote:
raftman wrote:

I noticed you are from the Lancaster area.

Not likely you will be fishing for bass on the Susky for at least a few months, I suggest you try to attend the Lancaster Fly Fishing Show in early March.

There, you will have an opportunity to see and get info on many different rod offerings as well as being able to cast a few.

Good luck.

+1^

Thanks fellas!

definitely go to the Lancaster show, you can hold so many rods there and get a way better idea of what you need my favorite is a fast 10' 7wt sometimes ill use my hydros bass 8wt line on that setups and it shoots like no other

I just got a tfo professional series 10ft 7wt and a lamson liquid. Neither is really high end, but both are very good and reliable.

The majority of my fishing is for smallmouth bass. I use a 6, a 7, and occasionally an 8 wt. The 9' 6wt has been my go-to for years. It handles weighted flies and poppers without any problem and I find it much less fatiguing than an 8 wt. You may already have the rod you need.

I regularly float & wade the Susquehanna, Conestoga, Swattie and many other tribs and the 6 is perfect. If I'm strictly going for bass when paddling, I rig both a 6 and a 7wy. If there's a chance I'll cast to muskie or carp I bring the 8 along. Otherwise the 8 is a little overkill on smallies.

7WT...it'll land 20lb golden bones as well....

I just purchased a Redington Voyant 7 weight. The rod length is 10 feet. In the past I have used a 9 foot 6 weight.

I fish a 9' 6 wt and a 9'7 wt for smallmouth, the 7 wt has a bass bug tapered line and the 6 wt has a general purpose weight for floating line. Sometimes I use a streamer express with the 7 wt, when I need to get down deep. I favor the 6 wt when the water gets low and clear. Both will throw popers and weighted flies. Murray's fly shop sells "bass" outfits you can buy where they select a rod, reel and line that work well together for bass fishing. Might be worth a look.

I use a 7wt

I use a 10 ft 7wt that triples as a bass, steelhead and meat chucker for trout rod.

I prefer the longer length but it depends on the angler.

Any preference on the rod action? So many of these rods are fast action rods. I was thinking of something more towards a moderate fast action. I saw an old G Loomis GL3 9'8wt for sale and I also thought about building an H&H 9' 8wt moderate fast action rod too. I have never been sold on these real fast rod actions.

Back