Bass Fly Colors

kobalt335

kobalt335

I started tying some bucktail deceivers for bass and I want to know what good color combinations are. So far I have tied chartuesse and white,red and white, red black and white, and all white. I also plan on tying all black. Are there an other combinations worth trying?

Olive top, white bottom, heavy on the olive. Maybe a strip or two of krystal flash as lateral line. ...Love me buck tail deceivers...Simple and killer effective for large and small mouth bass. A couple of different sizes: 4 to 2/0.

And they don't get too heavy to cast when wet. (IMO)

Volksnurse wrote:
Olive top, white bottom, heavy on the olive. Maybe a strip or two of krystal flash as lateral line. ...Love me buck tail deceivers...Simple and killer effective for large and small mouth bass. A couple of different sizes: 4 to 2/0.

And they don't get too heavy to cast when wet. (IMO)

I'll definitely tie some olive. These are a first for me, but I am going to stock up after learning how simple they are. Right now I'm tying on a size 4 6xl hook, then moving up from there.

I keep the hooks simple and cheap....Walmart's finest.

[/quote]

Right now I'm tying on a size 4 6xl hook, then moving up from there.[/quote]

kobalt335 wrote:
I started tying some bucktail deceivers for bass and I want to know what good color combinations are. So far I have tied chartuesse and white,red and white, red black and white, and all white. I also plan on tying all black. Are there an other combinations worth trying?

I like chartruese and black as well as orange and black. White with a mix of silver flashabou or tinsel works well too. For clear water, I like a lot of neutral earth tones for Clousers: dark brown over yellow, or dark green over olive, this sort of thing.

olives and browns depending on what they eat, and flash of course!

Ive done really good this summer on brown and white flies, and also gold and white. However ive also noticed that the color doesn't matter as much as the action of the fly does. flies with a lot of movement seem to catch the most fish

All white.

Brown over white.

Olive over white.

Chartreuse.

All with a very few strands of pearl Krystal flash mixed in. So petty much what everyone else says.

White has been by far, the best deceiver color for me. FWIW, brown over white is a dynamite clouser minnow color combo.

I tie, not very many, Deceivers mainly for salt water. I just use them when I fish for bass. Olive/White, Chartreuse/White, Pink/White, Gray/White and Lavender/White. One off beat combination, I've tied is Fluorescent Green/Fluorescent Yellow/Orange. Use a black permanent marker for stripes and you get a decent Fire Tiger pattern. That particular color combination on lures has caught me a lot of bass.

Here's one that works well for me:

Olive or brown top, yellow mid section, white belly, tie in a touch of red on the underside to make it look injured

I like the natural colors of white, brown, green, black and gray. These are more consistent producers for me but just as a broken clock is right twice a day I also keep a few in chartreuse, blue and purple.

Expanding the thing to any bicolored streamer-type fly like Clousers, etc in addition to Deceivers, I'd add a sky blue over white and the same blue over a smoke or light gray. The specific shade of blue seems to matter, at least in my experience. I've tried a bunch of combos using a darker or royal blue over white or smoke and they don't seem to produce as well as the lighter blue. This could all be a matter of religion/inherent confidence, but it doesn't seem that way.

I have no idea why a blue anything would work, but it does..

Black with a little red seems to be a good color combo up here in the north.

Back