BASS CRAYFISH PATTERNS

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I guess in the bass world they are called CRAW patterns. LOL

I am going to be trying the Cohen Jiggy Craw pattern, but don't have the bodies and such in for it yet so I decided to root through my stuff and see what I had. I found some furry foam that I bought probably 4 years ago, and a few packs of crazy legs. I use bunny strips on some streamers so decided to try some variation using the stuff I had on them.

I really like tying bass, musky, and pike flies. I am still learning and such but they are just a blast to tie. Maybe its because they are new, or maybe because the thought of catching some bass or even a musky gets me going.

I think they turned out pretty good, and think they should fish pretty well. These are still just practice patterns to play with as when I get happy on them I am going to go to all Gomakatsu and Partridge hooks on my warm water big fish flies.

Still not ready to start deer hair, but am really excited to try these. LOL not often will you become obsessed with new patterns to the point you want to sell your trout rod, to fund a new 8-10 weight. LOL I think I burned myself out on trout, and just want something new and more challenging.

Attachments

• CRAYFISH6.jpg
    CRAYFISH6.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 12
  • CRAYFISH7.jpg
    CRAYFISH7.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 5
  • CRAYFISH8.jpg
    CRAYFISH8.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 5
  • CRAYFISH3.jpg
    CRAYFISH3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 5
  • CRAYFISH5.jpg
    CRAYFISH5.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 4
They look good. Although I consider bass easier than trout but the toothies are a different conversation.

Seems like you need a change. Hope you can find some bass and toothies this year.

They look good Mike. I especially like the green one.

GenCon

GenCon.

I think I like the green one the best as well. I kept the skirt a little longer but if I cut the skirts directly in half it allows me 2 flies per skirt. I think the proportions look better on that fly.

Now to find the right 8 wt rod. I have heard good reviews about Moonshine Fly Rod Company and may give them a go.

Never heard of moonshine fly rod but I may have to give them a shot. I do like the prices that I can see. If you get one let me know how you like it.

nomad_archer wrote:
Never heard of moonshine fly rod but I may have to give them a shot. I do like the prices that I can see. If you get one let me know how you like it.

Mike, I also am not familiar with moonshine rods. But check them out.
What I can say is I have done a lot of FF for bass. For that type of fishing I prefer rods that have an action on the slower side. I feel you have better control with a slower rod. I also feel it makes a better presentation. Easier to make the short accurate cast needed in most bass fishing.

Good luck,

GenCon

I have a "facebook friend" May even be on here that did a live video discussing the Moonshine brand. He is a big musky fly fisherman, and said that he feels that the moonshine 8 wt has the action and such as a 10 wt.

I wanted to get a rod that would be decent for bass, steelhead, and pike/musky. From what he had told me the rod works great in 8 wt, and prefers if over his 10wt. I am still not 100% sold on them and will have to do more research. The lakes wont be ready to fish for a while anyway. LOL

I used to tie crayfish patterns with the rabbit strips for the claws, but I stopped doing that since I found that when they get wet the strips will stick together on the inside leathery area. I found that marabou and even long strips of fine deer hair work better for the claws. Just my opinion.

nice work. I still like tying for trout but been tying bigger predators also. For claws you could also use feather tip, just get a flexible glue and then glue the feather tip. It will hold its shape. Let us know how these work when you get to fish them.

I like 'em.

I use rabbit fur strips for claws on many of my crayfish patterns. I think they work well,but are better if kept on the smaller size - about the same length of the body. This is more realistic and will result in fewer tangles. There have also been some studies that suggest that SMB deliberately target crayfish with smaller claws.

Back