Basics on fishing a wooly bugger

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Worthwhile video showing the basics of fishing the versatile Wooly Bugger fly.

A couple of things to add to the video content:

You can fish a WB a a single fly without using the tandem rig shown in the video. A single fly will be much easier to cast.

You can as fish a WB casting slightly upstream and dead-drifting it like a nymph. This works well for fish that are not very active. You can swing and or strip after the end of your dead drift.

You can even fish a WB under an indicator at times when fish are sluggish and not chasing.

Here is the video >

Perhaps more simply, just tie it on with a good knot? You can be all kinds of sloppy and catch fish on a Bugger...great beginner fly of choice. Sure, sometimes one technique works better than others, but with a Bugger, you almost always have a chance to catch some fish.

They'll sometimes catch fish just dangling in the water while you're on a beer break or eating a granola bar. I've done it, multiple times.

Better tip...When you're having a beer break or a granola bar, put the Bugger safely on the hook keeper and don't let it just dangle in the water. Assuming you want to finish your beer and/or granola bar uninterrupted!

Was the Wooly Bugger invented by a PA guy? I thought I heard that?

larkmark wrote:
Was the Wooly Bugger invented by a PA guy? I thought I heard that?

Yes, by Russ Blessing from Lancaster.

More info here > https://midcurrent.com/2009/11/02/russ-blessing-inventor-of-wool/

Back